New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser action prices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the going rate for commercial Mauser actions (Mark X, FN, etc.)? I recently found a NIB Mark X action, set up for .375 H&H for $385; is it worth that, or would I be better served spending the extra money for a CZ550?
Or should I wait for the new Mark X's from Charles Daly?

Also, for those familiar with Mark X's, how were the .375's set up; were they opened up at the front, rear, or a little of both as compared to the standard '06-length chamberings in the same action?

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats an alright price for a NEW action, but you can buy a Mark X rifle for about that used...

they opened thoes actions up completely in front as a matter of fact and I have never seen or heard of one giveing anyone any trouble, modern steel??? perhaps.

I have built a couple of 458 Lotts out of them and I cold welded them up in front and opened them up in back...made me feel better.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Ray. I agree that opening them up in the rear is the better method, but I don't have the equipment (or expertise) to do that myself. I think with the Mark X's track record, I wouldn't hesitate to use the action as is -- I don't intend to run any hot loads through it. How much work do you think it would take to get it to reliably feed .404's?

Cannon

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it takes a lot of work to make one feed, unless you do it all the time and have the right equipment to do it....Dennis Olson in Plains MOntana is real good at that....I would get him to redo the action myself unless I intended to use the 404 at original velocitys of 2125 FPS...but again your right in that it handles the 375 and 458 and I have never seen one give a problem, but it goes against all that is holy!!!(grin) so much for all out gunsmith theory, on that and a lot of other things...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Ray. Would you mind emailing me Mr. Olson's contact information? I'd like to know what he would charge me to take a standard length Mark X and open it up to the rear, modify the feed rails, etc.

Cannon

<Scott H>
posted
Ray,
Do you know what would be a fair price for a NIB Mark X minuture Mauser action?
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
They have been bringing about $300 to $350 but keep in mind that Mark X is gearing back up and will be in production soon and that may run the price back down to about $200 to $250...????

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Scott H>
posted
Ray,
Thanks!
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Mark X is gearing back up for production under the Charles Daly name, what country will they be manufactored in?

I know that the Charles Daly 1911 Colt design is manufactored in the Phillipines.

Posts: 1537 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman, they're going to be made in the old plant in the former Yugoslavia. I'm not sure which one of the new republics it's located in, I'd suspect it's in Serbia.

<Hubie>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
Craftsman, they're going to be made in the old plant in the former Yugoslavia. I'm not sure which one of the new republics it's located in, I'd suspect it's in Serbia.

They may very well be made at Brno, in the Czech Republic. As it so happens, I have a cousin currently in Prague, CR, that I have been corresponding with concerning the Brno factories. (curiosity-were they still there, etc)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hubie, I got that information from KBI, who's going to be importing the actions under the charles daly name. I called them a couple of months ago after it came out in a trade publication that the mark X was to be imported again. The lady that told me this said the wait was for the U.N. to lift the trade embarge against Yugoslavia, which is expected to happen soon since they ousted Milosovich. Someone posted here that they're supposed to start shipping in august, but I can't confirm that. She also told me that they were going to offer the actions in stainless steel.

[This message has been edited by boltman (edited 06-07-2001).]