New
Find
Notify
Tools

very basic scope mounting question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any advantages to one piece bases over two piece bases? Why would you choose one over the other if they both fit?

Thanks.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
The concensus is that a 1 piece base helps to stiffen the action... Also, a 1 piece base is less likely to be as out of whack as a 2 piece base. 2 piece bases are picked #1 for looks and #2 to save weight.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
The concensus is that a 1 piece base helps to stiffen the action... Also, a 1 piece base is less likely to be as out of whack as a 2 piece base. 2 piece bases are picked #1 for looks and #2 to save weight.

Malm

Not an opposing point of view, necessarily, since you are a pro IIRC and I am an amateur --

But I have always figured that a 1-piece that is the least bit out of whack might impose some stresses of its own on the action.

Additionally, a 2-piece allows more room for loading & manipulation & carrying with your hand around the action.

I do use alignment rods & now lap the rings to reduce misalignment.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yup, that too.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:

Malm

Disagree on all counts. First, the receiver is MUCH stiffer than a one piece scope base. If one is to impose a stress on another, it will be the receiver on to the base. Second, it is just as easy to mis machine a one piece base as it is a two piece set.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Ksduckhunter,

There is less repositioning of a 1 piece base during machining than there is 2 seperate pieces. It is then only reasonable to assume, that the less you have to reposition a 1 piece object while machining, the less chance there is for 1 end to be out of true with the other end. This is not to say that a 2 piece base is less accurate, it just means that based on simple machine logic, the odds favor 1 piece items.

The concensus is, at least to the folks who purchase them, "that a 1 piece base helps to stiffen the action". That is the concensus, not neccessarily fact, just the concensus.

Now, don't you think a 2 piece base looks better than a 1 piece base? Don't you think a 1 piece base weighs more than a two piece base? You can't disagree with everything can you?
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kynadog:
Are there any advantages to one piece bases over two piece bases? Why would you choose one over the other if they both fit?

Thanks.

As you can see there is a lot of different opinions and all are right or wrong according to the brand of mount and the action type and brand .....some one peice bases use less screws to attach and don't get in the way of loading....others are almost necessary due to the length of the action and the need for the ring position to be other than over the action screw locations.....long action with compact type scope....the one piece seems to be supported more on these types.....the two piece lets more room over the action port on bolt guns and this is important in some scope/action types...others with large objective scopes have so much clearance that it isn't a factor.....as to the one piece adding strength? not a realistic factor!!!!but I have seen a blown action that the mount was twisted and bent but did retain the rear action top attached to it.....but not a factor of any real importance in the real world..imo....GOOD Steel bases with properly fitting and loctited -similar holding agent, screws that match the holes in the action and the bases match well or bedded in extreme problem cases or super kickers....and then the rings lapped and aligned or Burris type rings with the syn. inserts and the rings screws also tightened and loctited..... Only seeing the action/gun with the different bases and rings with your scope combo lets you know if you made the right choice as to one or two peice bases as to looks and ease of fitting and use in the field..but as to strength either will hold any properly mounted scope on a normal shoulder fired gun ..imo.and experience....this is from years of trading and shooting guns and scopes with many different scopes/actions/ring-bases for myself and friends and managing a local gun store for several years as a sideline....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It makes little difference if both are correctly fitted...the one piece base does not hinder feeding, that is in ones mind, if anything it could prevent a round from falling out the off side and help it fall into place..I have heard the one piece hanles heat better, now that's going to left field IMO, although it may be technically correct, who knows or cares?...

All this stuff is nothing more than conjuncture, I have used both for years...Any base one or two piece that is out of line is a problem to the shooter. It stresses the scope...

I believe all bases should be fitted to surface ground actions, but I use quick detachable bases and this makes them return to zero, even so it is a good idea and guns so built hold their zero better over long periods of time I have found....

I like the one piece on the Savage 99 for instance, and lean towards the one piece on saddle guns, as I believe it takes stress off the scope better than a two piece, but again, that is argueable..

Bottom line is I would not lose any sleep over it one way or the other, it is probably the least important of your worries on a hunting rifle.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason that I have for 1 piece over
2 piece bases is for long range zero as it is easy to shim the base up or down

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote