Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring hardness help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Are there any accurate electronic gauges available on the market that measure the surface hardness of rifle actions? Seems to be quite a bit of varying quality on both military and commercial Mauser actions. Specifically, I have a dandy as new Centurion action I am considering for a project in a medium caliber. What say you?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The only way I know to measure hardness is with the Rockwell ball system. Anyway, surface hardness does not tell the whole story; a modern made rifle made from alloy steel like CM will register soft, but will be much stronger than an old rifle with a very hard surface, made from low carbon steel. AND, it is hard (impossible) to measure receiver hardness where it counts; at the locking lug recesses. Outside hardness is not important.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
WWII Military Mauser actions are measured differently than their commercial counterparts because their critical areas, the lug seats, were case hardened which produced hard surfaces and soft cores. In comparison, today's modern alloy actions read more accurately than do the Mausers because they are hardened uniformly throughout. A diamond indentor and Rockwell "C" scale is used to measure the hardness of receivers.

Normally, a large, heavy and cumbersome machine was used to measure hardness, but today there are small, digital, more portable units capable of producing precision results such as this http://www.portable-hardnesstesters.com/pht-met.html

To find out more, talk with the folks at Blanchards http://www.bmproc.com/ about their hardness measuring processes. They heat treat various actions.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$500 and you pick up and it is yours.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. $500 seems like a good deal.I suppose it's better for me to check on the action by maker or model and leave it at that. Somehow, I envisioned a $100 tester was available. No harm in learning which actions are acceptable. I do like learning about Mausers. Thanks to all. Keep 'em coming. CB

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a heat treating oven at one time and needed something to check hardness. After getting an electricity bill(all electric oven) I decided it would be much cheaper to have an expert check the hardness. The guy that bought the oven didn't know how lucky he was when it fell out of his truck on the way to his shop. He uses a heat treating shop also now.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone driving from TX to CO? I'd love add that to my oven.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I had a heat treating oven at one time and needed something to check hardness. After getting an electricity bill(all electric oven) I decided it would be much cheaper to have an expert check the hardness. The guy that bought the oven didn't know how lucky he was when it fell out of his truck on the way to his shop. He uses a heat treating shop also now.
Wise choice. Skip the learning curve and just get it done.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Anyone driving from TX to CO? I'd love add that to my oven.
Steve
Seems like a steal at this price. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, if you still have that tester, let me know and I'll make a road trip...

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I spent a lot of time in a met lab testing hardness. Unless you know how and what type of heat treat was used, surface hardness is just that. It may not give you any idea of strength. I now use special files to check for surface hardness. Not accurate, but effective for most situations. $500 for butch's Wilson tester is a steal, hell, I might drive to Texas for it........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote