New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a BRNO
 Login/Join

<Norwester67>
posted
What does anyone know about a Brno ZKW 465 as far as accuracy, triggers, and action.Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1963 model BRNO ZKW 465 in "K" Hornet. On days with light winds it will average 7/8ths inch 5 shot groups with it's best loads. It has an extremely long throat and a slow 1 in 16 inch twist barrel, which is not conducive to top notch accuracy. (This could have been the result of the "K" conversion.) I order to achieve this level of accuracy, I had to remove the recoil lug which is dovetailed into the barrel. The action is good for Hornet class cartridges using reasonable pressures. My only criticism is that it does not feed reliably, which appears to be a consequence of the sharp "K" shoulder catching on the chamber edge. I have read that the action was not heat treated, so it would not be suitable for conversion to a hotter caliber. The double set trigger is very nice for bench shooting, but I prefer a good single trigger for hunting. In set mode it is too easy to shoot before you are ready, and in unset mode the trigger has a very heavy pull.

In summary, the ZKW is good gun, but for a shooter I would get one of the new CZ 527's. The actions are heat treated, the recoil lug is integral to the receiver, the trigger is a good adjustable single set design, and the ring rail has a recoil abutment to prevent scope slippage. And I have only heard positive reports about their accuracy. (My buddy's light barreled .223 CZ 527 shoots better groups than my .222 SAKO S491, much to my chagrin.)

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Norwester67--

I have a couple of these. The action is nearly identical to the new CZ527. The ZKW is usually very accurate and certainly a nice rifle but with the reputation of being soft and setting the lugs back.....I have one that had a "rapid seperation of parts" in a ground squirrel town. It's very soft and had developed excess headspace.

They are a very classy rifle that who's price has drastically dropped because the CZ-527 is a better rifle, but not as pretty.

Set triggers are NOT for target shooting. Set triggers double lock time. They're the best thing going for a hunting rifle, though.