Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-War Model 70 Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
Butch Lambert is selling a pre-war pre-64 in the Classifieds, and I had a couple of questions I posted there but there may be more people here who know the answers:

From the Classifieds thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Maybe I should ask these in Gunsmithing, but:

1. Any opinions on how difficult it would be to convert this to the later-style safety?

2. Does anyone know if the amount of drop on this stock is similar to the Model 54 stock or somewhat less, between the 54 and the later pre-64?

3. Any opinions on the stength of the side mount? I saw one post on another board that suggests no heavier than 300H&H to retain zero, but have no idea how accurate that is.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Wisner will convert to later style but you have to send bolt to them for installation. I think it's called a Tilden safety. I currently have a G&H side mount on a 30-06 and have had Jaeger's and G&H's in the past and NEVER had any problems with them.I can't imagine either shooting loose or not return to zero. But have personally never had one on anything bigger than 30-06 but would not hesitate to put one on a 375 as I've seen them on several.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you -- I appreciate the information.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I ran out of the Tilden levers for the pre war guns, about a year ago.
No plans to make anymore.

I can fit a complete new sleeve to the gun, this is the 50's stlye sleeve.

Ed LaPour also makes a new sleeve.

Or you can watch for a used sleeve on eBay.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1450 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles: Thought I had replied to your question about G&H sidemounts. Will try again: I have them on all my rifles from 30-06 to 458 win Mag and have never had any problems with them "shooting loose", or, returning to zero after removing the scope to use the open sights.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Charles: Thought I had replied to your question about G&H sidemounts. Will try again: I have them on all my rifles from 30-06 to 458 win Mag and have never had any problems with them "shooting loose", or, returning to zero after removing the scope to use the open sights.

I think you replied on the post in the classifieds, but I appreciate it. I believe that this mount is Jaeger rather than a G&H.

In any event, I believe there was someone more excited about it than me and I think it may be sold elsewhere.

I really like the looks of the rifle but I think it would have been a bit more of a project than I had in mind.