Find
Notify
Tools

Who Am I?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who Am I?

It’s 1921 and I play a trombone in a marching band. I am an accomplished violinist, I make violins and write music. To pay the bills I work for a gun company and one day I’ll become one of the best stockmakers in America. Who am I?

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Seymour Griffin was a cabinet maker so I'll have to guess Ludwig Wundhammer?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ludwig Wundhammer

I second that. Didn't you use a photo of him on your book jacket?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, I don't think it's Wundhammer. I believe he died sometime in the 'teens.

He does look a bit like Seymour Griffin in the photo on the cover of Michael's book, but it's hard to tell given that he's so much younger in this photo.

I couldn't say for sure who he is.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for some reason i connected the mention of violins with alvin linden.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Paul Jaeger?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Linden built violins but Shelhamer was building a Harp when he died.

Time for another clue, a big one, the guy in the picture was working at Colt then.

I'm working on some material about him and just received a few pictures from the family and wanted to share.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
William Forster

Posts: 4 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGSkunk:
William Forster

I'll play who was William Forster?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Reinhardt Fajen?

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kirkwood

John Dubiel Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.G. Owen

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
quote:
Originally posted by MGSkunk:
William Forster

I'll play who was William Forster?

He was a fellow that fits your description (excluding working for Colt), however, after doing a little more research on him, I found that he was from England and lived in a much earlier time. But he was a a violin maker who found work in making gun stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joesph Bishop , Joel Schafer ?.

http://macongunstocks.net/

Many older readers will be familiar with the Fajen name--and that of another Warsaw stockmaker--Bishop.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boogabama's great-great uncle on his white granny's side?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Kirkwood

John Dubiel Big Grin

You Win!

posted Hide Post
WTG GSP7!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Petrov

Would you please post a photo or two that supports your opinion that Mr. Dubiel was "one of the best stockmakers in America".

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO John Dubiel had no peers when it came to inletting, his is some of the finest I have ever seen. There should be an article on him this year in PS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles; are the rear sights mounted on or integral to the shrouds?

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
Beautiful rifles; are the rear sights mounted on or integral to the shrouds?Thanks.

Those are Howe-Whelen sights integral to the shroud.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sent me some photos of such some time ago; thanks again.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might show the sight a little better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Beautiful stuff and informative as usual. I would like to thank you for your time and postings as they surely add to the enjoyment of this site. When is the follow up book to your first one going to come out?
Thank you again.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michaelj:
Michael,
Beautiful stuff and informative as usual. I would like to thank you for your time and postings as they surely add to the enjoyment of this site. When is the follow up book to your first one going to come out? Thank you again.
Michael J

You welcome, glad you enjoy it. In a year or two I'll have enough articles published to do volume Two. I'm still working on a big book in color but have no idea about the when.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Do you have photos of the two top rifles, the other side? Nice lines...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, only the one side view.