THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What solution for an ultrasonic cleaner?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally invested in an L&R ultrasonic, (actually two, I bought one w/o a heater and then got a good deal on a heated one).
They sell a commercial solution for cleaning guns but it seems rather expensive at $65/gal. I have been told that a solution of some Simple Green and non sud-sing ammonia works well for cleaning. Any other recommendations?

Also, L&R sells a lubricant that is water displacing, seems similar to Brownell's displacing oil. They say you fill the tank with the oil and the ultrasonic action gets out any water and lubes the metal. Anyone tried this?

thanks,

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a gander ; http://www.omegasonics.com/ind...stry.shtml#omegablue

http://www.omegasonics.com/ind...s/gun_cleaning.shtml

There are so MANY , it depends on what one is cleaning . archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I've got three ultrasonic tanks and have been cleaning gun/machine parts as well as my cartridge brass in them for years. For cleaning gunk and grease, I use a fairly strong Simple Green type solution. I brush, soak, then run in the tank, blow dry and lube with wd40 or gun oil. If you want to cut carbon, try making your solution with about 25% vinegar. Simple Green / vinegar do an excellent job of cleaning the carbon out of cases.

Edit....I don't use any kind of special fluid or water displacing oil. That might be great for a production type environment, but not for me. It is important to keep the parts you are cleaning off the bottom of the tank. If you put them in a beaker, the beaker should be suspended or the crystals will deteriorate at an accelerated rate.

Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just interested in cleaning the crud off old actions and parts, fishing reels, etc. Gzig5, I have seen several different types of Simple Green, I got the original at Home Depot, about $16.00 a gal. How mucg do you dilute it, 50-50?

thanks,

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
I'm just interested in cleaning the crud off old actions and parts, fishing reels, etc. Gzig5, I have seen several different types of Simple Green, I got the original at Home Depot, about $16.00 a gal. How mucg do you dilute it, 50-50?

thanks,

Rob

Right now I'm using an off brand "Clean Green" or sumsuch but have a gallon of the real stuff ready when that is gone. I probably run about a 10-30% solution depending on what I'm working with. Brushing and pre-saoking stubborn caked on crap is very effective, it just lifts off quickly in the tank. I've also had good luck putting a couple teaspoons of Dawn dish detergent in when I don't have the green stuff on hand.
Be careful about running finished parts too long. The cavitation action can lift paint and dull bluing if left in for a "long" time. Usually only takes a couple minutes depending on size of parts and strength of the tank. Bigger parts absorb more energy and take longer to clean.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also use Citrus cleaner mixed with white vinegar and water.

http://www.arbico-organics.com...us-Cleaner-Degreaser

http://www.boretech.com/

http://www.mpro7.com/MPro7-Faqs.html

The cleaner is not water-based, but contains a non-toxic solvent base with additional surfactants, solvents, chelating agents and strong corrosion inhibitors. M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner is a phenomenal ultrasonic cleaner and dissolves evenly in water. To remove heavy carbon fouling the formula can be diluted up to one part water; one part M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner. For general ultrasonic cleaning and degreasing, dilute up to nine parts water; one part M Pro7 Gun Cleaner. A full immersion in M-Pro7 Gun Oil is recommended after ultrasonic or tank cleaning to remove any residual water or cleaner.

Most anything works well with an ultrasonic cleaner . At one time I used White King automatic dish washing

soap and citrus cleaner . A close friend uses engine cleaner in his , works real well !.

If you want to make your own take a gander at this ;

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

For those of you who use electronic rod cleaners here's what you may be using ;

Some Interesting Information.
Just for those of you with curious minds, the Outers CopOut Plus solution contain approximately 0.6 percent cupric acetate and 2.5 percent ammonium acetate (3.62 grams/ liter of copper acetate and 38.5 grams/liter of ammonium acetate) in distilled/deionized water. The LeadOut Plus contains approximately 2 percent lead acetate and 5 percent ammonium acetate (6.50 grams/liter of lead acetate and 38.5 grams/liter of ammonium acetate ) in distilled/deionized water. A good basic solution for either would be

Read the rest on the above link and I believe their link is at the bottom . tu2

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to read this over....www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Posts: 43 | Location: Chardon, Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friends neighbor was in the ultrasonic supply bussines. Supposedly the best cleaner they ever found was Joy detergent. Only a teaspoon full or so. The guy made a fortune off repackaged non scented Joy. They sold 55 gal drums of the stuff.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote