Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Mark X Mauser
 Login/Join

posted
I just received my Mark X Mauser in 7 x57 back from Sereneti Stock Works, and must say that the stock and every thing about it exceeds my expectations! The stock (a Leopard pattern) fits and points like a well fit shotgun stock.

The problem I'm noticing is that as I pull the bolt back, at about 1/3 back from the front of the action, the exctractor seems to catch, and as I get to the back 1/3 of the action, the extractor seems to catch on the back portion of the action (the initial O) of the action.

When I look at the extractor, it seems to have a slight bulge. My questions are as follows:

1). Is it normal for Mark X extractors to have such a bulge?

2). Would this be indicative of needing to smooth out the rails, the interior of the back "O" as it were; and

3). What smith would anyone recommend who absolutely knows Mausers inside and out.

Thanks much for your assistance.

Mr. WH

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What happens if you loosen the rear action (tang) screw about 1 turn?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your problem lies with the extractor collar. It is a loose fit with the extractor and the extractor is binding in the action and is causing what you call a "bulge". When moving the bolt further rearward, the collar is engaging the rear bridge and is binding there.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info. So how do you solve this problem with the extractor coller, and who's a good smith who can work on this problem?

Mr. WH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that is the problem as I described, one needs to work over the collar; it is kind of a blacksmith process for lack of a better term, and kind of hard to explain. If you want, send me the bolt. You might also try a new collar from Jim Wisner. They work great and are already blued.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim:

I went back and looked at the extractor. There is a slight bulge on the extractor itself, that is behind the coller, almost as if there is either too much metal or the extractor was bent. Your thoughts, and many thanks for the assistance.

Best,

Bill