New
Find
Notify
Tools

Search the Archives!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, there is a lot of good info in the archives, and I see many recent questions that have been covered in detail in the past.

So, If you are new to the forum and have questions, sometimes a search will put you in business. Just jump to the top of the page and click on "Search".

I just pulled up an old post about milling M70 actions, the photo was expired, but a couple of keystrokes restored the photo. So, if you run across an interesting post in the archives, with an expired photo, ask the original poster to bring the photo back to life.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
There certainly is a lot of info in the archives. Sometimes finding it is like pulling teeth. I imagine there probably aren't many topics left that hasn't been covered. I do hope people aren't shy about asking any question they have though. The Richards micro-fit questions may be round number 239 for many but for the person asking the question it's important. [Big Grin]

[ 11-06-2003, 06:43: Message edited by: dempsey ]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just thinkin' about this the other day. Lot's of great info and advise here. I was thinkin' if someone culled thru all the info here, we could have a new forum. Maybe something like "The Best of Accurate Reloading". And then of course we would have to also have "The Worst of Accurate Reloading". And then we could all argue about what's the best and what's the worst. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Having been a long time lurker and having used the search function extensively i would agree with you if there was any consistency to the archiving system.There are about a half a dozen very good books in there if someone organized it.
I would buy "Belk on classic sporting rifles",How to do virtually anything with a few simple hand tools""how to know if your gunsmith is screwing you""things that require an experienced gunsmith that actually knows how to use a lathe and milling machine"Truly original loading data(a very short book)"You can't build a good stock on your first try so practice on something you hate"
"good checkering is impossible for the average human to do"etc.the main problem is that some of the best info is under a topic heading that has nothing to do with the information.I guess the best search method is to look for everything posted by JBelk,Malm,Customstox,Atkinson,Bill Leepers,Triggerguard and several others.An inspired moderator could dig out the classic stuff and permanently pin it up at the top of the forum like several other sites do.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmithing Forum is one of the most proliferous forum. Today, November 6th. at mid day Dubay Time, 27 topics received new messages.Of course, messages were more than 27 because some topics received more than one.
Sometimes , as it is said above,we do not use descriptive words in the topic title, or, we deal with several matters in a topic which received 20 or 30 messages.
My two cents: Could it be possible to add a box at the top of Gunsmithing Forum page ? Title could be :
"FAQ`s -Reloading" please read it before initiate a new topic.
Clicking on this box, a Menu may display several typicall sub titles like: 1911 trigger jobs, how to lap a new rifle barrel,how to tune a ...etc, etc.

Advantages for all of us: we would not go through 27 topics by day to see all what is happened (moreover, it is impossible to do with a couple of proliferous forums).
Great advantages for the new members,someone made the things easy for them if they are looking for some basic concept . They will want to be part of our forum. They will feel not shy to initiate a new thread because they saw it is not explained in the FAQ`s.
Advantage for the Forum administration: It will reduce traffic, by reducing initiation of new threads already known and repeating answers
Advantage for the Forum senior members : they may focus their efforts in new threads only.
Disadvantage: Someone must select the messages to be included under the Sub titles.IMHO, it is important to include specific messages, not the complete topic or thread.

Awards for senior members. Add an star or a bullet, or a gun, or any mark, for 5 messages( or any appropiate quantity ) included in the FAQ`s, This marks must be included in the member data. This will be a reference for the readers,like me, a big proud and incentive for writing good answers for senior members.

I hope these ideas help to improve our already excellent forums.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
John,

Thank you for reminding the members of this.

We used to delete old posts, as we had limited webs space.

But, about 2 1/5 years ago, we decided to get our own server, and keep all the posts. They are all here, and of course you can access them any time you wish.

I just checked this Forum, and it seems we have posts going back 933 days.

The only forum that I do delete old posts on is the CLASSIFIED Forum. Generall I remove any posts that have not had any response for 30 days.

Posts: 68620 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
There certainly is a lot of info in the archives. Sometimes finding it is like pulling teeth. I imagine there probably aren't many topics left that hasn't been covered. I do hope people aren't shy about asking any question they have though. The Richards micro-fit questions may be round number 239 for many but for the person asking the question it's important. [Big Grin]

]

Hey, yeah... is RMF any good?

LMAO

John, You are right, of course
jeffe

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do this all the time, and have a recommendation for people that haven't made use of this yet:

Search one forum at a time! I usually do it from my house at night with a dialup, and it can start taking a very very long time if you are searching the whole site.

And if I remember correctly it will return topics that have your search term in the body of the posts, not just the subject line. Sometimes you will find that it was not answered in enough detail for you and will still have to post more questions, but you won't believe how much you can find out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
One other suggestion might be to build an FAQ's section in here that would provide a mulititude of questions, of which answers could be provided by the builders, smiths, and manufacturers.

I would be more than willing to provide all the info that I could, as I'm sure most others would as well, considering we've been doing it for some time now anyway.

What do you think Saeed??

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I will be more than happy to add anything that might be of help to our members.

A FAQs cannot be on the Forum, but if you wish to compile some questions and answers, I can add a new heading on our Home Page, and can call it whatever you like.

Posts: 68620 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"The only forum that I do delete old posts on is the CLASSIFIED Forum. "

Probably few readers would miss the Political posts either.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed & triggerguard.

Regarding FAQ`s, I was thinking about something like this:
http://brianenos.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=28
As example only,clicking on Frecuently Asked Questions, and clicking on a "What..." or "How to..." questions, we may find menus or messages with answers at the end of the thread.

I apologize if my proposal provokes problems or is not feasible. I am a new member, avid reader of the senior writers of The Accurate Reloading Forums.

Thanks for your attention

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BAShooter:
Saeed & triggerguard.

Regarding FAQ`s, I was thinking about something like this:
http://brianenos.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=28
As example only,clicking on Frecuently Asked Questions, and clicking on a "What..." or "How to..." questions, we may find menus or messages with answers at the end of the thread.

I apologize if my proposal provokes problems or is not feasible. I am a new member, avid reader of the senior writers of The Accurate Reloading Forums.

Thanks for your attention

BA Shooter

That's exactly what I was referring to.

Saeed,
It's not possible to have what he showing above??

What would be the reason that you wouldn't be able to build something like that into the site? Seems pretty easy, but maybe I'm missing some important elements.

Thoughts???

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I hope the thrust of this thread isn't to discourage someone from asking a question. I enjoy and learn from many of the questions and responses. Sure, some are rather repetitive but I'd venture to say 90% of everything that can be covered has and probably several times. I find it rather rude when someone asks a legitimate question and is told to go look it up, it's already been beat to death.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dempsey, no, my intent is NOT to discourage questions, but to take advantage of all the keyboard time and photos that have been posted.

Often I will refer a question to a previous post in the archives.

Keep the questions coming, time permitting, it is fun to try to answer them.

And to all,some type of reference section is a good idea. Some of us old gray hairs have made more mistakes than you can count, so there is a lot of information "lurking" in the audience.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
I hope the thrust of this thread isn't to discourage someone from asking a question. I enjoy and learn from many of the questions and responses. Sure, some are rather repetitive but I'd venture to say 90% of everything that can be covered has and probably several times. I find it rather rude when someone asks a legitimate question and is told to go look it up, it's already been beat to death.

John's right, this isn't about discouraging people from asking questions, but giving the people who are asking a faster method of obtaining the answers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the above clearly shows why this is THE best (by far) site for us... ugh enthusiasts. Thank you Saeed. Not sure what the heck I ever did with my free time before AR.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Anything that makes it easier to find info is great. [Smile] I once remembered a post of jbelks that had info I wanted to retrieve. I knew the post existed, but just couldn't hit the right search word to bring it up. A easier system to reference such things would be welcome.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
BA Shooter,

We aren't able to do what is shown in that link, for a couple of reasons.

First is we do not have the possibility of making any thread STICKY - i.e kept at the top.

Second, we have an awful lot of threads on the same subject, and all of them have some good suggestions, so getting those links together is going to require a lot of time, which I am afraid I do not have.

What I think might be a better idea is those in the know can compile a list answers for specific problems that we encounter every day in our workshops. I will then make a seperate page, and post the answers as well as any photos that might be submitted.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea.
Thanks Saeed.
I'm just a rookie around here,but if there is anyway I can help someone let me know.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
BA Shooter,

We aren't able to do what is shown in that link, for a couple of reasons.

First is we do not have the possibility of making any thread STICKY - i.e kept at the top.

Second, we have an awful lot of threads on the same subject, and all of them have some good suggestions, so getting those links together is going to require a lot of time, which I am afraid I do not have.

What I think might be a better idea is those in the know can compile a list answers for specific problems that we encounter every day in our workshops. I will then make a seperate page, and post the answers as well as any photos that might be submitted.

What's the chances of changing the software that you are using right now for your forum, providing that we could get members to cough up some change for it. Say, $20.00 per year, per member??

If not, shoot me some problems, and I'll shoot you some answers [Big Grin]

John Ricks has a very extensive collection of detailed photos too that could prove to be most useful for illustration.

I'd really like to see this get underway, as it would be useful for everyone on this board.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One item that will help is a predefined key word or topic to search on.

Or a way we mechanics may enter a key word that is easily searched upon: Like "Chamber Reamer" or "crown" or ?

Then maybe some way to accumulate the key word/topics into a list that may be viewed as an index?

Any computer literates out there have any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JR, no offense, but what's with the guy selling a rifle for which you provided the barreled action saying that his asking price (of $4.5k) would only cover really just his price for the stock?

A stock for $4,500? Come on, I realize that some wood is expensive, but sheeeshh. Would anybody really take a rifle with a stock that valuable into the field?

http://www.varminthunters.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=9888&query=retrieval

Just wondering... [Confused]

[ 11-09-2003, 09:07: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
MFRC uses arcives and key words to bring up old posts MFRC

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Haler:
JR, no offense, but what's with the guy selling a rifle for which you provided the barreled action saying that his asking price (of $4.5k) would only cover really just his price for the stock?

A stock for $4,500? Come on, I realize that some wood is expensive, but sheeeshh. Would anybody really take a rifle with a stock that valuable into the field?

http://www.varminthunters.com/cgi-bin /classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=9888&query=retrieval

Just wondering... [Confused]

It's not uncommon for upper end blanks to exceed $2000.00 before they've ever been turned, inletted, finished, bedded or checkered. Kent Bowerly charges around $2000-$2500 for his checkering work. The rest could easily account for the difference.

It is entirely possible.

I think what would be worse than spending that much money on a stock and taking it out in the field, would be not taking it, and letting it collect dust in the cabinet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Thanks for studying my proposal.
First of all,I fully agree with:
quote:
All of the above clearly shows why this is THE best (by far) site for us
I understand the problem, it is not the same thing a forum which receives 1 or 2 post by day, that forums which recieve more than 30 post by day by forum section, like Accurate Reloading

Regarding your proposal
quote:
What I think might be a better idea is those in the know can compile a list answers for specific problems that we encounter every day in our workshops. I will then make a separate page, and post the answers as well as any photos that might be submitted.
Does your idea consider something like this?
http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm
but written by the forum members instead of professionals.
Could we select our old and current posts, put a title and propose them as answers to FAQs? We may re write them to be more clear and specific.
It could work.

BA Shooter