New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Magazine... Too Short
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ M527 in .22 Hornet. The clip is way too short to handle cartridges with bullets seated out to touch the lands.
Has anyone ever modified a CZ clip in order to solve this problem?
I appreciate any help you can give.

Forrest

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
I recall an article in either Handloader/Rifle about removing the block at the front of the magazine and filing to fit/feed. I think it was written by Ross Seyfried. Sorry, as I don't recall the month/year.

Ben H

<JBelk>
posted
born ready---

There isn't a "problem" with having the bullets off the rifling in a Hornet. It's not worth the trouble. Seat some bullets way out and try it single shot style and see for yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Buhl,
Are you sayin' that it does'nt matter what you feed a Hornet? That it'll shoot the same no matter how far in or out of the lands and grooves the bullet is?
Does the kind of powder make a difference? Do different bullets change things?

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
born ready---

I shoot several thousand K-Hornets out of five rifles every year. They range from a M-43 I bought used in 1960 to a CZ-527 American classic two years old.

I load surplus Remington 45 Gr HP, surplus WW 46 gr HP, and 45 gr Hornady "Bee"s. All are moly-coated and loaded with 13.6 grs of WW-680 (discontinued)and WW small PISTOL primers. Velocity is between 2810 and 3030 depending on the rifle and the temperature. Overall length clears the shortest magazine.

They're ground squirrel rifles and group fraction of a squirrel out to 150 yards with mixed ammo. I'm a happy camper.

If the ranges get long I shoot a tight-necked Fireball with 40 gr Ballistic Tips. It is MUCH more critical of seating depth than the Hornets.