Find
Notify
Tools

Millet Front Sight for 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
Does anyone have or know where I can get out of production Millet front sights? I have a 1911 with a Millet Model CA00010 Rear Sight and a Millet Front Sight, I don't know the model number but it might be SO31219. It is a narrow tenon stake on front sight. I found the sight after it came off this weekend but it broke between the base and the tenon. Alternatively, does anyone think a new stake on tenon could be welded to this blade?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
There are narrow tenon sight blades available.

try brownells. this one is higher than Colt factory.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
You would probably be better served having a dovetail front sight installed. This will give you the most options as well. In almost 25 years, I have never seen a tenon sight replaced with the same, unless its a collector grade gun.
The cost may even be cheaper, as few gunsmiths even have tenon staking tools anymore.

Richj is right they are available and do able.
Just make sure your gunsmith has the proper tools.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck is spot on.

And, just be thankful that if they've used Milletts they didn't use a Dual-Crimp. Those wrecked more good 1911s than just about anything else.

Posts: 1349 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way I could keep a Millet front sight on was to silver solder it in. Finally changed to dovetail front sights ... much cleaner and sturdier installation.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I was getting ready to solder the old sight on then I found an orange bar sight at a local shop I don't go to often. I'll stake this one on but if I break another I'll solder the first one on. I've considered adding some epoxy when I stake it on.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a little humbug with the front sight on my Officers ACP staying put. A little touch with the 1/8" ball on the dremel under the tennon slot and a little red loctite before I staked the new sight on and all is well.

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Might give that a try.