New
Find
Notify
Tools

LPS lub
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello. need to know if this stuff is as good or better than rem dry lub. does it get gummy like wd40 how does cold affect it. need some input here thanks.
kens

Payed to much for the whistle BF

ken schweitzer

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about LPS 840 Degree lube, it seems to work very well. I used it on an old beater Rem 742 30-06 ( inside and outside the action) just to see how it would hold up. Put 100 rds or so through it with no problems.

It seems unaffected by heat or cold, does not get gummy like oil-based lubes, (so far) and holds up well to abrasion.

I will keep you posted, as this is a varmint gun (110 grains-3300 fps) that belongs to a friend of mine. We are going coyote hunting very soon. No better way than trial by fire(ing)!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WD40 is not a lube. It is a water displacing oil (hence the name). It also is a poor penetrating oil. It is great to spray on a black powder revolver after you clean it with water.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
WD40 is not a lube. It is a water displacing oil (hence the name). It also is a poor penetrating oil. It is great to spray on a black powder revolver after you clean it with water.
Good luck!

While WD-40 does have some lubrication (oil) properties and their can says "stops squeaks," it is not really a "lube."

This was taken from the WD-40 website:

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home.

A few years following WD-40's first industrial use, Rocket Chemical Company founder Norm Larsen experimented with putting WD-40 into aerosol cans, reasoning that consumers might find a use for the product at home as some of the employees had. The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

There you go!

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flippy,
You just did an excellent job that proved that Hawkins right. It is a water displacing oil and not a lube. A lube is used for wear surfaces that normally contact each other. A lube may or may not be good at repelling water but that is not it's purpose any more than lubrication is the purpose of WD40.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Try Dura-Lube spray for light lube. It really is kind-of a "squirt" spray can. Works goooood.

Also Tetra Gun products work very well. They have a whole line of stuff, spray, grease and a liquid. They also have wiping cloths and patches.

I use the little bottle of liquid lube alot because it is too easy to waste the spray. This stuff was developed for extreme lubrication requirements of space for NASA.

They have a small "trial pack" that has sample sizes of the three main lubes.