New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me out can't get scope zero to poi
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the range yesterday to sight in my two .358 win bear rifles. Put on some new leaupold scopes, checked everything and I think it's right but somewhere I've
messed up. Both rifles will shoot one hole groups at 50 yds, trouble is I can't I can't get the groups to center on the
on the one inch dot I've been shooting at. Why ? one little click @50 yds just seems to throw everything out of whack.
Normally, I can have both rifles on target with just 3-4 shots But I burned a lot of ammo and got flustrated. Now I have to load up the ammo again I was going to hunt with.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The usual problem at 50 yards is the scope doesn't seem to respond. That is because 1/4MOA clicks adjust only 1/8", if your group size is 1" it takes 8 clicks to move it over visibly.

You didn't specify exactly what your scope(s) did wrong at 50. I'm guessing from your frustration that you were getting windage when you adjusted elevation, or vice-versa, or both. This happens when the scope adjustment is bottomed out in one axis. Further adjustments cause the erector tube to ride up or down the curvature of the scope and result in a shift of point of impact in the other axis.

If you had to adjust the scope "a whole bunch of clicks" to get it near the mark, chances are this is your problem. The solution is to get a
windage adjustable mount/ring setup, or shim the elevation, so that the scope adjustment is working closer to its center.

Another possibility is that the rings are not lined up, the scope tube is kinked and the internals are bound up. The result might work out, for example, that a whole bunch of clicks move it not at all, and then it suddenly jumps a large increment. The solution is to redo the mounts so that the scope sits flush and even without binding when installing the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the adjustments are not working right since your getting one hole groups.

There is the possiblity that parallax is throwing you off. Leu's are zeroed at 150 yards and at 50 the crosshairs will move all over the target if you move your eye around in the eyepiece when the rifle is steady.

Of course you may not be always getting one hole groups. Can you try it at 100 yds?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What type rifles? Pumps and semi autos are notorious for having the scope base screw holes drilled off center.

Give us details (make and model of rifle, make and style of scope mounts, etc) and someone will chime in with some help.

Could be something as simple as having the wrong bases on the gun and the scope is tipped.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With cheap Asian scopes I have just tried to get started at 25 yards and I turn the adjustment 5 clicks and shoot and get no movement, repeat, repeat, repeat, and then the point of impact moves to the other side of the target. I then move back 5 clicks but the point of impact stays the same, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.

I finally learned that I cannot win at that game [hysteresis].
That scope goes to my scope junk yard.

I have never had any problem what so ever from my 6~7 Leupolds that I got used. I have seen one Leupold that was like new in box and stiff to adjust. The guy sent it back to Leupold and had the scope fixed for free with in a week. Leupold paid the return shipping. What a class outfitSmiler

In all fairness, Weaver K-4's for $20 at a gun show are 35 years old and very reliable.

The way I see the trade off:
1) Leupolds: expensive, bright, reliable
2) Old Weavers: cheap, dim, reliable
3) New Asian: cheap, bright, unreliable

But the biggest problems I have ever had with scopes is loose mounts. Loose rings I can see or feel and fix. But loose mounts, sometimes I have to take the scope off to tell I have the problem. I have started glass beddeding the mount to the action with no release agent. I let the epoxy cure with the screws lightly tightened. Then I take them out and put Lock-Tite on the threads.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the help, keep it coming. WQhen I say one hole groups, I mean three shots in a ragged hole at 50 yds. I've got the POI within a 1/4 " of where I want it to be but can't get it exactly in the 1" target dot. A problem I've never had with the Browning Blr .358 it has a new leaupold VXII with clicks in Burris mounts. The other is the Ruger 77 MKII with a shilen bbl. it wears a Baush & Lomb 3000 in Ruger rings, it to will shoot ragged holes but I need it to move left about a 1/4 " The BLR need to move right !/4 and down 1/4. It could be my shooting, presently loading more shells to tray it aqgain on the weekend.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tap the scope tube with a non marring object, like a screwdriver handle, after ajustments are made. Sometimes the things get sticky in there and a little vibration helps.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
If you have run out of adjustment, Burris makes some rings with inserts that will allow you to allign your scope correctly with the bore. I think they are Burris signature series. The nylon inserts also keep the rings from marring the scope and are very sturdy.

Good shooting, Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not centered in the 1" target dot? The bear won't notice.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote