Find
Notify
Tools

.300 SAUM to what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I have a Remington M7 in .300 SAUM with a bad barrel. I like the .300 SAUM cartridge well enough, but prefer something else if I'm going to spring for a new tube. Does anyone foresee a problem with a re-barrel to one of the WSM cartridges? I was thinking of the .270 WSM or maybe even the 6.5 WSM wildcat.

Any help is appreciated.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay with the SAUM. It has about the same performance and is a better fit for your receiver. You will probably have to seat your bullets deeper with the wsm and it will take up powder space and defeat the purpose of the WSM. I have a SAUM in a Shilen barrel and it is all I need in a 300 short action.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the diagrams that I've seen, there's only a 0.035 difference in cartridge OAL between the .300 SAUM and the .270 WSM and an 0.065 difference in case length.

Is the additional length a real issue for the M7?

The .350 RM has a case length 0.070 longer than the WSM, and that's available from the factory in the M7.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion only, but I think the SAUM is all but dead as it has been overshadowed by the WSM line.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
The Remington rep I spoke with at SHOT on the 30 RAR said the SAUM brass was going to seasonal (at best) production.

Never a good sign.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only saying that the WSM cannot be used to it's fullest in the Model 7. The factory WSM has a short throat. I will agree that the WSM is a good cartridge, but not in a Model 7. My 300SAUM with 180grn. bullets is 2.800 in OAL. Try extracting somewhat longer OAL and it won't happen in a Mod 7 with a loaded round.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
analog You indicated you would like to change calibres. The 7mm SAUM was a lot more popular (around here) than the 300SAUM was. Have you given any thought to that cartridge? I have to agree with what butch is saying about COL and having difficulty extracting a loaded round.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that there's zero ammo availability without a remote order for either SAUM, one is as good as another. Since the SAUM line is a dead-end, I was looking to move in another direction ...

I was looking for practical alternatives. If there aren't any, that's good to know too.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Stick with the 300 SAUM you have. Buy 1000 pieces of brass and you are set for life. My bro has one and my hunting buddy just had his rebarreled with a Lilja. It is an excellent caliber and is a real shooter.

That brings up a good point. His factory remington barrel is for sale, AND at best, it's had only about 50 rounds through it. He took it on a caribou hunt and killed to animals with it.

You want it? PM me. I think he'll sell it cheap.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm another fan of the SAUM. Having built several 300WSM rifles, on SA Rems, I still would opt for the SAUM. As for dead cartridges, I guess I'm just a sucker for them. I built a 260 Rem, a 300 SAUM and a 222 for myself. Dead is only dead if you let it die.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built 2 300SAUM, one for my oldest son and one for myself. It is a great cartridge. I do have a lot of brass.
Butch

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I guess you could go another direction and pick any other Model 7 caliber. Not a 30 mag but would fit and if you wanted to sell down the road might be better.

But, since you reload and like it, no reason not to do as suggested above unless resale value is an issue.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote