New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swapping out actions, FN to Argentine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, stock dudes especially, which action has a larger foot print, the 09 or an FN commercial? wondering about splitting up a rifle stock combo, selling the barreled action and keeping the wood. But would want to be able to use it without gaps and wonder if the argentine would require more wood take out so it would clean up right.

Thanks

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My experience is that if the actions dont have side safties then nominally they are the same with regards to action inletting. Obviously, if the commercial doesn't have the thumbcut that will need to be addressed when inserting the Argie action. The real issue of concern is the bottom metal. The Commercial actions tend to have shorter bottom metal just ahead of the front action screw because in the Argie bottom metal it had space for the locking screws. So, generally you can inlet a commercial to accept military bottom metal. Of course, this all assumes that width is the same. Sorry, but I can't speak to that difinitively. The few examples of commercial bottom metal I've seen have varied in both width and fore & aft postitioning of the mag box. Mostly though the surrounding metal looked to be the same. And that is the part that shows. If you use the commercial bottom metal then it should work with maybe some minor fitting required.

Hope this helps.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I would just put the metal in the wood and look but I sent my argentine off to have carbon added and don't have any other military mausers right now.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, you will just have to look when you get it back. You can find differences in actions even from the same manufacturer. You can keep the same bottom metal in the wood and sell the Argentine hinged pristine bottom metal with the FN.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just dropped my 09 action into a FN Higgins stock and it fit poorly with gaps and of course the thumb cut problem as well...

Do as I do and do what Chic says...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If, you make a change and would sell your Argy bottom metal, I would gladly buy it. I like to re-work this slightly to fit Brno 21H actions that I salvage from less than perfect rifles and them build up into light CRF mountain rifles. PM me here if you want to sell it. Thanks.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Could you give a more detailed explanation of what you suggest?

I have a commercial FN barreled action in 30-06 that has a wing safety. I would love to put it in a stock that currently holds a military mauser action, maker unknown, in 6mm Rem.

Do I correctly understand that I can leave the magazine box and bottom metal in the stock and put my FN barreled action on top of that?

Thanks for the information.

Hunt1

Posts: 12 | Location: RALEIGH NC | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote