Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching leather pads to vice.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK after more years than I can remember it is time to replace the leather pieces on my stock hold vice. So how do you guys attach yours.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain what sort of vise you have. You were a trifle vague on that. I use those rubberized, magnetety-be-sticky guys with the rubber pads. The cost about $12 a set and they last me a month or so. After they get impacted with dirt and such I shift them over to the mill or give them to my regular customers or the auto mechanic next door. I have never had them mark anything and on barrels you can tighten them till the barrels scream with no damage to the pads. They come in all sizes.

20161020_105749[1] by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello RR from Britain.

Here in UK we glue the leather pads or hard rubber pads to sheets of aluminium or tinplate and then shape that aluminium sheets to fit around and over the vice head.

That way they can be taken out if they aren't needed and, also, means that they aren't fixed to the vice.

Just cut the aluminium or tinplate about 1/2" ovesize all around and then bend it or tap it to bend it over and around the vice head.

If I could find a picture would have posted it but, apologies, I can't.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just seen SC's helpful post with the picture. The aluminium or tinplate we use just about looks like the things in his picture but it's thinner of course. And cheaper!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use old recoil pads and duct tape. Hillbilly vise pads.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use old recoil pads and duct tape. Hillbilly vise pads.

Whistling S I G H !

LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very innovative WoodHunter. I've been looking for some hard felt pads like my Grandfather had in his shop. They were about 3/4" thick, about 2.25" by 5 inches with some shallow vertical grooves and had a top and bottom strip of felt that kept them snug on the jaws. Wish I had a pair of those. Thanks for the post.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My fault. The vise I was talking about was similar if not the same as the Midway Fox Swivel gunsmith vise. http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...op-fox-gunsmith-vise Grizzly calls it a Parrot vice.

I have 3 vises on the bench one an old machinist vice that I have the magnetic rubber pieces that I can install. Second under bench mount like the one woodhunter has in the middle of his post. Have wood inserts with guide pins with rare earth magnets.

The swivel vice I mount on top the bench hold the forearm and usually rest the putt on the bench. Had some heavy leather held on with contact cement. Just wondering if there was a removable way to apply the leather.

The under bench woodworks quick release gets about 90% of my work. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the leather and glue from Midwayusa for my Parrot vise. The leather pads have been on there for a dozen yrs. or more and are still in very good condition. I also used some of the leather and glue to make two layer thickness to raise my powder trickler up a tad so that it is above my scale pan.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anything on Midway. Will have to look again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I glue them on with Barge Cement.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barge Cement

Isn't that a form of contact cement?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forget where I saw it but the smith told me he took thick leather, soaked it in water until pliable, molded it around the jaw and held it with rubber tubing or flat rubber like an inner tube. When it was dry it retained its shape but was still pliable enough so that it could be removed from the jaw if needed

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forget where I saw it but the smith told me he took thick leather, soaked it in water until pliable, molded it around the jaw and held it with rubber tubing or flat rubber like an inner tube. When it was dry it retained its shape but was still pliable enough so that it could be removed from the jaw if needed Posts: 1492 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003

Was wondering about that as well. For sure never tried it.

My bench looks just like Woodhunters the day after I spend 2 days cleaning up. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 3M spray adhesive I have around. It's a contact type,spray both surfaces and let dry about 15mins and slap 'em together. They ain't comin' apart. I use wooden backer jaws to glue the leather to.
'Barge cement' (shoe glue) works the same way. and probably cheaper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I need a jaw protector I just grab a piece of leather and wrab it aroung the object to be clamped. Sometimes I use sheet copper the same way.

It appears I need to put more thought and effort into this.

: 0

one of us
posted Hide Post
I GLUE SOME ON..I also use sheet lead, its soft and won't damage metal or wood, and you don't have to tighten it down as you do with most stuff..but there are many options and Ive used them all..Ihave wood I cut to fit the big cise and I have glued leather or that poly stuff that most vice jaws are made off..Lots of things work as you can see..I really like the idea of fitting heavy leather to the vice jaws as posted above..Those should pop on and off with ease and last forever..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, Barge is a brand of contact adhesive. The pads I've glued with it, both leather and rubber, have been on ten years and still going strong.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
both leather and rubber, have been on ten years and still going strong

Think I'll take a piece and try getting it wet and see if it will form. If not contact cement. Like yours lasted 10+ years. Another 10 years will probably get me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340, I looked on midway and they still stock my vise, but no leather or glue. I suppose any contact cement will work. That is what the stuff I used looked like anyway.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote