New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building Sako 416 Rem Mag need Help???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I asked this question the other day however, I didn't give enough information.

I have a Sako 300 win mag and would like to rebarrel it to a 416 Rem Mag!

My rifle is a Model LR1R and on the action it as MV instead of AV (this gun was built early 1970) is this action (bolt) strong enough? And what is the average cost?? Thank You.

Scratch [Smile]

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a L61 action and it will work, with modification, but not as desirable as a control feed rifle IMO...It is however, very saleable and you could get enough for it to buy a good 416 Win. or CZ....

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scratch:

Your Sako requires nothing other than rebarreling in order to convert it to .416 Remington. The cost will vary with how expensive a barrel you buy and who does the work. It may be advisable to rebarrel with a bit heavier contour than you current barrel, which would also require opening up the barrel channel in the stock a bit. The L 61R comes with a stock crossbolt, so it is pre-equipped for a heavy caliber.

I won't get into the debate over CRF vs. push feed, but let it suffice to say that each has advantages and disadvantages and unprejudiced parties find little difference in them. Your Sako is a much more highly refined gun than most rifles available on today's market, and I suspect you would be more pleased with it than a replacement.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote