Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Peruvian- bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted
I've got a 1909 Obernfdorf that my Father-in-law gave me. Want to re-barrel to 9.3x62.
While the barrel and receiver sit with penetrating oil in anticipation of barrel removal, I started tinkering with the bottom metal. It appears that the bottom plate is a separate piece, but there are no fasteners or welds. Thinking that it was likely soft-soldered, I took my torch to it. After heating just to the point that the bottom plate started to discolor, I tapped on the inside of the plate to see if I could get it apart from the rest. Couldn't get it to move. What am I missing? If I can get this off, it will be a whole lot easier to open up the rear of the mag to accommodate the larger cartridge.. BTW, receiver has original crest and that cool charger hump, so my 9.3 will get a LW barrel and express sights. looking forward to the rest of the project and hearing from guys with real experience.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But you know the basics ?

Here how to start.

Though a somehow strange handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJpoiBGF7k

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
STOP until you learn how these things work, and before you damage something. As for removing the barrel; all the penetrating oil in the world won't help; Mauser barrels are torqued against an inner shoulder, and DO NOT heat that either. To remove the floorplate, use a cartridge tip and push in on the little hole you see in the back of it. Slide the plate forward and it will come off. You have likely destroyed the floorplate button spring with your heat. Please learn the basics like heaven said, first.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thank you both- especially for not being too harsh. Video is good, heaven...I plan on picking up the Kuhnhausen manual ASAP. I have a good bit of experience with the bolt, cocking piece, etc on other Mausers, but this is the first I've had without a hinged plate modification, so I am in new territory (at least for me)

If I hurt the spring, I can replace it.

But I get the need to back up to fill in the gaps in what I thought I knew. I don't need to rush and thanks, dpcd, I'll bone up on everything before I get too far.

Yeah, barrel- I know about the inner ring, but thought oil couldn't hurt. wouldn't surprise me if the threads we chemically welded with German urine- thing is damn tight.

Again, appreciate the comments. In spite of my screen name, I'm not all that dull. But IO can make stupid mistakes..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont get why penetrating oil wouldnt help. It certainly can't hurt...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The floor plate is released by pushing a blunt tool in the hole just ahead of the bow and while holding the spring down tap the front of the floor plate back towards the bow with a brass drift. Should come off providing not rusted, in which case a good soak in penetrating oil would help. do not apply heat as it will cause damage like distortion.

You may want to rethink your caliber choice. The 1909 is an "intermediate" Mauser action having a box length/well opening of 3.115". there's a great reference on this site at the top of "gunsmithing" detailing all Mauser dimensions. The 9.3x62 is 3.29" OAL and won't fit this action unless it's opened up to standard 98 dimensions.

You would be better off trading off what you have for a good standard 98 action. No modification, to box, feed rails, bolt, more meat around chamber....best way to go IMO.

Ron(Canada)