THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Design benefits/negatives Dan Wessons vs. all others

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Design benefits/negatives Dan Wessons vs. all others
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right, we seldom get handgun stuff on here, might be we don't have a lot of smiths that work on handguns, but I thought this might be fun to talk about...

I have a Dan Wesson mod 15 (357 mag) in 4" config (muzzle blast/noise by the way is WAY more than my S&W mod 27 6") which of course has the cylinder lock on the crane instead of on the frame behind the cylinder. Last time out to shoot I was working on fast reloading (I have a speed loader for it) and personally thought that the lockup design made reloading slower (have to use left hand to open the cylinder).

What are the design advantages/disadvantages to the dan wesson setup versus all the others? I've heard it makes a stiffer platform between the cylinder and forcing cone and lends better accuracy?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever had to it would be impossible to reload one handed.

With a S & W you can. Push the latch forward, eject using a post, table edge, edge of you shoe if needed, stick the gun barrel in your belt with butt forward and cylinder outside the belt. The belt stops the cylinder from closing.

But how many times do you need to do that...unless you've only one arm of course...or are maybe using the other arm to hold on to something.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW cylinder gap can be adjusted for best accuracy/function, barrels are easy to replace and they are, or can be, surprisingly accurate.

When I say 'surprisingly accurate' I mean fully as accurate as a normal S&W in the same caliber. Many Colts and the S&W Magna Classic (now discontiinued) will outshoot the DW but not by much.

Actually the DW is easier and much less expensive for the smith to tweak if wanted.

I refer all here to the Miami Massacre of '85: if you hafta reload your revolver, then you need A LOT MORE PRACTICE! The Feebs fired over 120 rounds and ultimately, by a fluke, killed the 2 perps. The perps fired less than 40 rounds (actually I believe less than 30) and killed 2 officers and wounded at least 3 more.

If you hafta reload your revolver then you have already missed at least 5 times. What makes you think you can reload and do any better?

Sorry for the rant but this is one of my soapboxes.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about doing the whole operation one handed, but it seems easier with the smith. I was only practicing to see if I could do it under ideal conditions, let alone bad ones. when I get a permit again this one will likely go on it.

thanks guys. I actually need anotehr 4" barrel and shroud, my stepfather has a DW 15 6" and would like one.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Dago,
You think your DW has muzzleblast/noise? Try shooting my 8 inch DW 357 Supermag. I shot a deer with it once (no ear protection). Imagine someone driving toothpicks through your eardrums. Now I know why when I shot sihlouette I used ear plugs AND ear muffs. nilly

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago,

Yup! The .357 Mag w/o ear protection will definately leave a 400 hz tone in your ear for a week. I did it one time ..... the Coyote died a sudden, violent death but my ears paid the price.

I'm a Southpaw and have the same .357 Mag. Model 15 Dan Wesson revolver with 2" & 8" bbls.

As a Lefty I find the front crane lock-up ideal to manipulate, just flip the revolver sideways and unlatch the cylinder with my right hand - Bingo! Much easier to operate than a Smith & Wesson for a L/H'er.

Years ago when I purchased it I did so for exactly this reason as opposed to buying a S&W.

I've never had an issue swapping barrels and it is delightfully accurate, too. The 8" bbl. with an extended 4X eye-relief scope (B-Square Mount on the rib) will amaze you with .38 Spl. Wadcutter ammo - fantastic. The full-house .357's aren't too shabby either with a stiff load of W-W 296.

I also find the sideplate & grip attachments outstanding as I can easily get inside and easily change grips if desired. Mine's been polished inside and it is certainly much smoother than when initially purchased but due to the Laws of Physics it'll never be as sweet as a tuned S&W.

The 8"er is great for serious target work, plinking & hunting(w/scope) and although the frame is relatively large (Pachmayer grip) the 2"er is what I use when I carry.

Net, I love mine - it's the one revolver I'll always keep.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote