THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    .348 Winchester on a Marlin 336 (1895) .45-70 action?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Winchester on a Marlin 336 (1895) .45-70 action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I could research all the detils on this, but figure some of you guys already know the answer...and it is likely a waste of time to try to re-invent the wheel at my house.

Can the Marlin .336 be rebarreled or rebored for the .348 Winchester cartridge and then function well? Does it require a larger magazine tube than the standard Marlin .45-70 tube?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a Browning 71 in 348. I think you would end up with a lot less money tied up in it and have a better gun to boot.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Why not just buy a Browning 71 in 348. I think you would end up with a lot less money tied up in it and have a better gun to boot.

I considered that and have decided against it for the following reasons:

1. I already have a bunch of potential donor Marlins.

2. I don't want to spend $1,500 or more for a primo condition Model 71. (Including shipping, insurance, 10% sales tax, dealer transfer fee, etc.)

3. I can do the barreling myself.

4. I want to put a Weaver K-1 or K-2.5 on the rifle and that is much easier on the Marlin.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at Mic Mcpherson's claim to have built the world's most powerful lever rifle (largely BS, IMO) on a Marlin. He used the parent 348 case for a 50-cal wildcat and cut the barrel threads slightly oversize in an attempt to fatten the breech tenon.

Please be advised that the 348 cartridge has a rep for truly abysmal 'accuracy', some say largely as a result of the original Winchester 348 barrels. Likewise bullet selection is largely null & void, but you already knew that....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would do a 356 winchester on the Marlin. This would be about the same power as a 348 and many more bullets to choose from. I love the 348 Win and the model 71s. I have two originals and a Browning. I also have several 358s and one 356. The Marlin 1895 is one of my favorite guns but I think it is not a very good gun to convert to 348 Win.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You have the same problems and ANY 348 case conversions in a Marlin 1895, like the 45 and 50 Alaskan...dangerously thin chamber walls if you don't know what you're doing...doesn't matter if you can stick a barrel on it or not.

Even with the correct rethreading of the receiver you still have to keep the pressures down around 35KCUP.

The RCM case is much better or just doing a 35 cal 45-70/450M...you will get almost the same ballistics.

You REALLY need to do a lot more research...break out your measuring tools, calculators etc and forget about the krap that is scattered all over the net.

If this conversion were really viable AND cheap AND simple as screwing on a chambered barrel, it would already been done by the gross and there would be lots of information scattered about.

WWW will probably do you one...maybe Mic McPherson or Noonan.

I have 3 barrels for my Marlin and know a bunch about that receiver and what can be done...BUT I WOULDN'T even think about doing a 0.553" case without recutting the receiver threads and those receiver reamers cost close to $300 bucks alone.

My 356 W will do 2200 plus with a 250 gr bullet without any problems and 2300fs doesn't cause any pressure indications either...you could go to the slightly larger RCM case and get even better velocities...SAFELY...without going nutz with the receiver work...and if you absolutely HAD to have a .348 cal then just neck the 356 case down a bit.

V threaded 450 M receivers are much better to use anyway.

This conversion thought isn't new...start searching and you will turn up all the problems, the solutions, the REAL costs...AND the dangers of not thinking this through.

Converting the Marlin 1895 to use the 348 case is NOT to be taken lightly or have a cavalier attitude about it.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the answer to your question, but another way to look at a more powerful medium bore lever gun.

A .444 marlin case can be sized down in a .338 federal die to make a .338 federal rimmed. Cut chamber with a .338 federal reamer, cut rim recess on the lathe, use cheap standard .338 federal dies to load. A real poor mans wildcat, and should feed in anything that feeds the .444 without modification. Only problem will be finding flat nose bullets.

I did the same thing with a .338-06 reamer and a high wall action. Cut a deep chamber and formed the cases out of .405 winchester. Created a rimmed .338-06 with 5% more case capacity than the standard .338-06. I size the cases to have the same neck dimensions as the .338-06, which leaves the case longer as the .405 case is longer than the .30-06. Initially I was going to do the .338-444, but decided to opt for the longer case instead.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
You have the same problems and ANY 348 case conversions in a Marlin 1895, like the 45 and 50 Alaskan...dangerously thin chamber walls if you don't know what you're doing...doesn't matter if you can stick a barrel on it or not.

Even with the correct rethreading of the receiver you still have to keep the pressures down around 35KCUP.

The RCM case is much better or just doing a 35 cal 45-70/450M...you will get almost the same ballistics.

You REALLY need to do a lot more research...break out your measuring tools, calculators etc and forget about the krap that is scattered all over the net.

If this conversion were really viable AND cheap AND simple as screwing on a chambered barrel, it would already been done by the gross and there would be lots of information scattered about.

WWW will probably do you one...maybe Mic McPherson or Noonan.

I have 3 barrels for my Marlin and know a bunch about that receiver and what can be done...BUT I WOULDN'T even think about doing a 0.553" case without recutting the receiver threads and those receiver reamers cost close to $300 bucks alone.

My 356 W will do 2200 plus with a 250 gr bullet without any problems and 2300fs doesn't cause any pressure indications either...you could go to the slightly larger RCM case and get even better velocities...SAFELY...without going nutz with the receiver work...and if you absolutely HAD to have a .348 cal then just neck the 356 case down a bit.

V threaded 450 M receivers are much better to use anyway.

This conversion thought isn't new...start searching and you will turn up all the problems, the solutions, the REAL costs...AND the dangers of not thinking this through.

Converting the Marlin 1895 to use the 348 case is NOT to be taken lightly or have a cavalier attitude about it.

Luck

First off, I already HAVE a .356 Winchester, AND a .338 Marlin, etc. And until a couple of years ago I also had a couple of M71 .348 Winchesters. I just happen to have stumbled onto a rather large cache of .348 ammo, brass, etc., buried in my workshop clutter. So, thought I'd ask if there was an easy way to make use of them. And, no, they are NOT for sale.

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that I am taking it cavalierly, or without thinking it through. Why do you think I'd come here and ask if the conversion is practical in other's eyes, and whether they have experienced any problems with it?

I already knew that the .348 was developed as a neck-down of the .50-110 Winchester, as opposed to the .33 Winchester, which was a neck-down of the .45-70. That's one of the reasons I thought there might be some problems. I just thought it would be better to ask folks familiar with the problems potentially involved, rather than go theorizing about them all by myself.

I was hoping that if there are problems, and anyone knew precisely what they are, they could share some of those specifics, or at least some URLs of where one might get specifics.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
Not the answer to your question, but another way to look at a more powerful medium bore lever gun.

A .444 marlin case can be sized down in a .338 federal die to make a .338 federal rimmed. Cut chamber with a .338 federal reamer, cut rim recess on the lathe, use cheap standard .338 federal dies to load. A real poor mans wildcat, and should feed in anything that feeds the .444 without modification. Only problem will be finding flat nose bullets.

I did the same thing with a .338-06 reamer and a high wall action. Cut a deep chamber and formed the cases out of .405 winchester. Created a rimmed .338-06 with 5% more case capacity than the standard .338-06. I size the cases to have the same neck dimensions as the .338-06, which leaves the case longer as the .405 case is longer than the .30-06. Initially I was going to do the .338-444, but decided to opt for the longer case instead.

dave

Thanks SSDave. That looks like a useful approach, though I hadn't really wanted to create a wildcat right now. Still, that is interesting enough I'll think over maybe doing that just for fun. My .444 would probably be happy to loan me plenty of its brass to play with....

Bullets wouldn't be a big problem. I have several different .348 bullet moulds AND some bullet swaging dies. And I could always make a proper swage die "spoon" to make more bullet-forming dies.

Thanks again.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
WELL JEEZZZZZZ...it might have been helpful to give a few of those facts and your level of "expertise"...if you have all these capabilities you could have answered your own questions pretty much.

As to URL....all the "stuff" concerning the 348 case converstions are scattered all over the net...expecially about the Marlin 1895...and I DID MENTION THE NEED FOR SPECIFIC REAMERS AND SOME SMITHS THAT CAN DO THE JOB...

I gave you some answers and a way to get the other information...unappreciated and taken the wrong way as it seems, so I definitely won't be giving you of what specific information I developed along the way of MY experience with the Marlin 1895.

What in the world gave you the idea someone would want to buy them anyway?

I don't know you from Jack and there are millions of wannabee gunsmiths...and WAY TO MANY of them don't even begin to do the basic research needed to get the job done...AND...WAY TO MUCH IGNORANCE is scattered all over the net just waiting to PHUK the unwary up...

I just put in a warning...again...unappreciated at taken out of context...you got a burr up your azzz, you need to wake up and smell the coffe...not all are out to stick it in your ear...but after this little tantrum...go stick it in your ear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC probably has more experience and knowledge regarding firearms than the vast majority out there. He ain't no rookie.

I don't think it's AC needing the burr removed from his ass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote