Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Tired Sako
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

Some years back I bought a Sako L461 Varmint in .222 Rem online - forget if gunsamerica or gunbroker? Yesterday, after a multi-year delay in export, I finally received the rifle. It looks a bit more neglected and tired than what I remembered when buying it, but there it is. Nothing serious, but the rifle is in need of a bit of TLC...

I would like to repair a smallish (maybe .3"x.3"?) rub in the stock. The stock finish looks like a lacquer of some sort (see pictures below). Any idea of what I might use?? The result does not have to be immaculate, but it would be nice if the rub was less conspicuous than it currently is. Currently, it looks as if the finish in this location has been sanded (or rubbed) away entirely?

The grip cap on the rifle needs to be replaced. I think a former owner mounted a non-standard grip cap, and an attempt has been made to "engrave" initials into this Roll Eyes . The current grip cap is mounted slightly off center.

How is this normally done? Do you attempt to get a cap which is undersize, which fits exactly (unlikely?), or do you get a bigger cap and file it down to the exact size??

These pictures are not of my rifle (I lifted these off the net, thanks to original owner!), but should give you an idea of what rifle in what finish we are talking about.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
To rejuvinate the original lustre and remove the scratches and blems, I'v had good results with Brownells 'Five "F" stock rubbing compound' (#083-028-510). If that dosent fix the blem, I would then start with rubbing pumice and rhottenstone, finishing with the o83-028-510. Then buff with paste wax. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this but I've had good results on older stocks doing it this way.

As for the grip cap, I'd first watch ebay and post a WTB in the classifieds for an original SAKO grip cap before trying to fit a new one to the stock. If I were to fit a new one, I'd get a slightly oversized (steel) cap and fit it to the rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For small rubbed areas in a Sako's stock finish as you describe, I've had good luck with a light dab of Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil rubbed into the limited area of the damaged finish. Tru Oil will blend pretty well with the original Sako finish.

Even if you could find an original Sako grip cap it might or might not fit your grip too well in that Sako stocks were individually fitted and finished and their finished dimensions tend to vary slightly. I think I'd consider having a custom grip cap made and fitted by a stocking professional, maybe this time with YOUR initials in it. Cool

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Regarding putting initials on rifles, somehow I have never really felt the need. It is certainly a pain in the posterior if the rifle ever changes hands.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree unless the rifle is truly a "keeper" -- and even then it would need to be a special circumstance.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Here in NZ rifles take a real beating in our thick bush and steep rugged terrain. that rifle would be advertised as "virtually mint" in our local sales! Roll Eyes

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote