New
Find
Notify
Tools

M12 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a question put to me that I can not answer, does a M12 Winchester have a dis-connector? Apparently the shotgun will fire when you hold the trigger back and cycle the action and chamber a shell.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes it will fire that way. At the instant of full lock up the slide lock snaps into place and the hammer will fall and the gun will fire. nothing to worry about the breech block is fully locked.

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks thet clears that up.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I started using a 16 ga Model 12 in the early 60s, and still have it. Choked very tight, back then I could win or come close, in most every "shooting match" I entered. For you young guys, those were social events and no actual shooting skill was required. Just a tight choke.
It will shoot as long as you pump and hold the trigger. As will another classic favorite, a Rem 141, of which I have two. 35.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not sure on the Winchester but do know the Ithaca M37 will. In fact there was a Winchell Donut sigh that took a hit from a Deputy on stepping out of a patrol car and racking a round it. No it was not me but I was close enough to feel the effects. shocker

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I was told not all the 37 Ithaca's would slam fire... I think the 37R is the model that will...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the orig mfg Ithaca 37's will fire in the so call 'slam fire' mode'.
It's just the way the mechanism is designed. Same as the M12, M42 and M97 Winchester and some others of the period.
The Remington M10 will not, neither will the M17 IIRC.

There is a disconnector of sear to hammer or trigger to sear depending upon design.
It's just that it re-engages at the very moment the breech block is seated and locked again.
At that point the sear and hammer are clear and the hammer falls firing the gun.

No need to slam it shut to experience the thrill. Close it as slowly as you can and it'll do the same thing just as the bolt seats in it's lock up.
It ain't a STEN gun. That Slam Fires.

The modern Browning repros of the Win M12 & M42 redesigned the sear/trigger arrangement to include a full disconnector mechanism.
In those, holding the trigger back and pumping the gun will get you the initial chambered round to fire. One shot and that's all.
The full release of the trigger and then a separate trigger pull is needed for each shot as in a semi-auto.
Lawyers at Work I'd imagine.

Think about it,,,the so called 'slam fire' manipulation of the pump action is only one step away from a (controllable) full auto firearm.
Find a way to harness the recoil or gas to operate the mechanism and the weapon will fire F/A from a closed bolt as long as you hold the trigger back.
Release the trigger and the firing stops,,Controllable F/A.

A 5 rd tube mag would dump out quick! but that's not the point I guess.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons folks like the 12 and 97 for cowboy action shooting and wild bunch. Slam fire.... now if we could get sass to let us load 6 in our shotguns tube to start.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote