THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Wanted: S&W Mod. 41 barrel threading or re lining

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: S&W Mod. 41 barrel threading or re lining
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Smith & Wesson Model 41, and would like the barrel modified at the muzzle for a suppressor (1/2x28). I am looking for a good gunsmith that can complete this project. I thought the muzzle can be drilled and threaded and a threaded bushing installed, or a barrel linner installed with a threaded tip, or even turning down the end of the square type barrel and threaded.

I am looking for someone who can preform one of these services and have it alligned perfect so it wont shave the bullets as it passed through the suppressor. I have seen a barrel that was machined down and threaded so I know it can be done. I wanted to have this done since I have an extra barrel for the 41. I wanted to try this first before breaking down and purchasing a Ruger MK with a tactical solutions barrel.

Please provide any information that can help me with this project.

RINO

Posts: 282 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). Basically, a gunsmith is a machinist with an FFL (Federal Firearms License).

While I am not an attorney, I believe if you take the barrel out of the gun and take it to a machine shop, any machine shop, they can do this sort of thing without an FFL. Will they? Probably not. Insurance liability.

You mention a suppressor. This is "class III" FFL, I believe. I would start by getting a list of "class III" dealers --full automatic, silencers, suppressors, etc.-- in my area and asking them.

Then there are the lists in hard copy of Shotgun News of Class II dealers. Or the back of Gun Digest Annuals.

I suspect that the machine shop at your local high school or community college could do this work, maybe you would want a b+ student minimum, and many dozens of basement machinists in a 25 or 50 mile radius of your location. The problem here is the legal hassle. You would do well to start there, and be prepared to pay for the legal preparations that these folks have made. Otherwise, some governmnent snoop starts asking questions and you could be in the deep "doo-doo" for what you have... without regard to intent... luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a factory break in "good" condition for 40.00 plus shipping but it is made for the 7.5" bbl