New
Find
Notify
Tools

After market triggers for a model 700.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took my old 7 mag BDL out today. Its a prety good shooter, and it,s the only remington rifle I own at the moment. I bought it at a gunshow and got it darn cheap. The trigger was awfull at 1st but I cleaned a bunch of old powder and oil residue off it and it got lots better. I though it would do, but after shooting it along side my Ruger with a timney it just aint as nice as I thought it was.
Now I know the jewell is probaly the best but it cost only a little less than I paid for the whole damn rifle. I might buy one anyway but I can't see where I need that light of a pull on big game rifle. seems to me a Timney rifle basics canjar or somthing augt to be fine. I have done a few trigger instalations myself, and would prefer to do this one too, but i don't insist on it. What trigger would you recomend ? thanks !...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney makes a great aftermarket trigger, but the factory Remington trigger is great also.

My advise would be just to get the factory one worked on.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks craigster ! The dissasembly picture from the site did not come up.But I will try again or just make a phone call!!! tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Shilen, you won't be sorry.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Shilen. It's made the way the Remington should be................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I bought it at a gunshow and got it darn cheap... What trigger would you recomend ? thanks !...tj3006

Tell you what, one of the best bang/buck plays you can make is to go to midwayusa.com and buy a holland spring kit for the M700 trigger. Replace the pull-weight spring and you can then adjust the trigger according to the instructions below. That'll cost you about $10 plus shipping. If the steps below don't get you to where you want to be, the next step in my book would be to send the trigger to Neil Jones. I would bet though that swapping the trigger pull spring would get you there. It's no Jewell but then again, you didn't spend the better part of $200.

Adjusting the Remington M700 Trigger:
All you need is a small screwdriver and some clear fingernail polish. Take the barreled action out of the stock. MAKE SURE THE RIFLE IS UNLOADED. Cock the action by raising the bolt and closing it. With the safety off, turn the screw on the back of the trigger clockwise until the firing pin falls. Back it out 3/4 turn or so. This should remove any creep from the trigger (the back screw is for sear engagement). The top screw on the front of the trigger is the backlash adjustment. Turn it clockwise until the rifle won't fire when the trigger is pulled, then back it out until the rifle will just fire. The bottom front screw is for weight of pull. Turn it counterclockwise to lighten the pull. Many Rem triggers won't go below 2 pounds or so before all the tension is off the spring. Some tension must remain on the spring for safety. Check the creep, backlash, and weight of pull. If satisfactory, SLAM the bolt home on an empty chamber 20 times. If the firing pin falls even once, the weight of pull or sear engagement or both MUST be increased. I'm writing this from memory, so pay attention to what you're doing! If OK, seal the screws with a dab of the clear nail polish.

re5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
TJ,
Triggersmith looks like a viable option to me but if you go with a Jewell you'll never look back. And you certainly don't have to get a 2 oz benchrest trigger. They make triggers for hunting applications as well and are hands down the best after market unit available. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote