Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tell me about the Brevex Mag. Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
"at one time a lot of bad Brevex actions floating around and also some fake Brevexes around"

Care to elaborate? I've owned more than a few in 45 years of gun collecting, never heard of such a thing.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's some specs from Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas

The number in brackets are the specs of a M98 large ring.

Weight - 53 oz(45 oz)
Length - 9.25"(8.75")
Receiver Ring Dia - 1.50"(1.41")
Bolt Dia - .700"(.700")
Bolt Travel - 4.975"(4.57")
Striker Travel - .550"(.535")
Magazine length - 3.925"
Magazine Well Width - .665"
Guard Screw Spacing - 8.25"(7.825")
Barrel Shank and Thread Dia - 29 X 2 mm(approx 1.141 X 12.7 V treads/inch)

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I think that the biggest difference is that the Brevex was made with the ways pulled all the way through on both sides.
This made the action less labor intensive to produce but also did away with the mauser 'inner ring' or C ring. In regular use a minor difference. In the event of case failure not everything is vented away from the shooter. Those hot gases and bits of molten case can ruin your whole day!!!

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Also there were at one time a lot of bad Brevex actions floating around and also some fake Brevexes around, so be carefull if you purchase one....

Ray
It's pretty bold statment.I have never ever before heard of any fake brevex actions, kindly enlighten us

I have seen four brevex actions, all has been very nice

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a nice looking action, but for $4,500, I would like to have an extractor that spans the loading port. But I'm picky that way!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Who said anything about $4500? I'm asking $2600 for mine, and you also get the barrel, stock and reloading dies. Various contemporary magnum actions run about $3500-$3800 (Vektor, Prectel, Noreen, Granite Mountain). For $24, you can buy a new full length magnum extractor which will span the loading port.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Any junky Brevexes are the result of incompetant gunsmithing, not the manufacturer. Nuff said.