Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake Problems...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I have a Rem 700 in a .300 win mag with a factory installed muzzle brake and it shoots great but when I shoot the gun with the thread protector on the groups get bigger.

I thought it was my shooting but I was behind a .338 Ultra with no muzzle brake recently and she grouped under an inch when I shot it so I ruled recoil problems out.

The thread protector fits fine and threads on nice.

Any suggestions?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The barrel is vibrating differently. The brake and the thread protector have different effects on barrel harmonics. You will most likely have to develop a different load for when you shoot the gun without the brake to get optimum accuracy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought of making a brake that had a rotating sleve over the ports. In the open position the holes in the sleve match the holes in the brake. In the closed position the holes do not match and therefore block the gas. Put a detent for the ipen and closed positions. Best part would be not changing the mass on the end of the barrel. I would imagine fouling might be a problem in freezing it up though. Maybe douse the works in anti seize grease? So many projects, so little time. Might make one except I hate brakes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Frank.
It is barrel harmonics.

Try a Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator.

Even if your gun groups well, it should improve it. Quite the neat item.

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Limb_Saver_RE.htm

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The barrel is vibrating differently. The brake and the thread protector have different effects on barrel harmonics. You will most likely have to develop a different load for when you shoot the gun without the brake to get optimum accuracy.
Make sense;develop a load with muzzle break on,out another one...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also make a thread protector with the same mass as the muzzle brake. I've been doing this to allow people to compete in events that don't allow brakes with their braked rifles. That way it's simple to switch back and forth without the zero changing or needing two different loads.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scota45-70,
Your about 10 years to late, Brockman guns makes the quite brake that works exactly as you describe...

The two guns I have shoot the same with or without the brakes, same POI and same size groups for all practical purposes..

it is harmonics and if a barrel has not been stress releaved the normally won't perform both ways, but the simple act of turning the barrel should, in fact, stress releave it I have been told...?????

Magnum61
You didn't say want the difference in accuracy was.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
The difference in accuracy is from about .75" with the muzzle brake to about 1.5"w/o the brake. So it literally doubles. POI use to change with another load I used the same way but with this current load it doesn't, but don't get me wrong I want to send some more down range to prove it one more time for my curious mind.

I shoot Barnes XLC XBT 180gr. bullets now. When I hunted the first time I found a load that shot well with the non-XLC Barnes in the same bullet. I wanted to see if I could get more velocity out of that bullet which I did, 200fps more, 3218fps campared to 3015fps with the non-coated.

Maybe a try with the Triple-Shoks who knows?

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know a gunsmith that I could get a stainless thread protector from so that I could match the mass of my current brake if I provided a weight or the brake itself so they could have something to match it by?

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try a Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator.

Even if your gun groups well, it should improve it. Quite the neat item.

Where's it install??

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Scota45-70,
Your about 10 years to late, Brockman guns makes the quite brake that works exactly as you describe...

So does Savage, my 116FSAK in .300 RUM has one of these brakes. It makes no difference , open or closed, groups are the same and velocity change is negligable to non-existant.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote