New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 35 Mauser sight variation?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week, I was finally lucky enough to buy a Lyman number 35 (bolt release mounted) Mauser peep sight - on a G.33/40 action, no less!

I have never before seen one in the flesh, but all the photos of these sights that I've seen in the past, show a lever at the rear of the sight (presumably to clamp down on the slide to lock the sight setting?). My sight does not have a lever, but has a slotted, knurled wheel, which I think, does the clamping.

Otherwise it appears to be a Lyman #35 deluxe sight (deluxe having the rack&pinion type slide movement as opposed to the non-deluxe with no rack&pinion adjustment.

Has anyone ever seen a Lyman 35 like this with the "wheel" instead of the lever? I don't know enough about these sights to know whether this is a factory variation, or maybe the factory lever is just missing, or maybe an original lever has been replaced with the 'wheel'.

If anyone can shed some light, I'd much appreicate it. And, by the way, if anyone happens to have a Lyman 35 instruction sheet or manual, I'd be most happy to purchase a copy, if that's possible. Thanks.

l1
l2
l3
l4
l5
l6

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice catch. I have about 8-9 of them but all have the side leaver. I have one that has been modified in that the wind age lever has been replaced with knurled knob. Easier to use for sure.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
square shooter:

Thanks much for the info. The knob that has replaced the lever on mine seems nicely done, but I'd still like to find a replacement lever. I imagine that is going to be even (very much) harder than finding the sight to begin with.

Thanks again.

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote