New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna 1640
 Login/Join

<prewar>
posted
I have a Husqvarna commercial sporter 30-06 with the steel bottem metal only offered in the early 53-mid57 versions. I am impressed with the build quality of the action and would like some opinions on these rifles. I am considering restocking/rebarreling this rifle. Like approximately %30 of the Husqvarnas seen at gunshows, it has a stock crack repair in the tang area. Who makes a good replacement wood/synthetic stock for these?

<Jordan>
posted
MR331:

I have owned a half dozen Husqvarna's over the years and have three right now. They are excellent rifles and in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets out there as far as mauser type actions are concerned. As for me, I would much rather have a Husqvarna than any large-ring mauser [the HVA is small-ring]. I am told that the receiver steel [and presumably the barrel steel as well] is of exceptionally good quality in typical Swedish fashion. Anecdotally, several years ago I had one bead blasted and re-blued to a matte finish [or so I thought]. Glass beads could not etch the receiver steel. It was too hard and remained a bright blue finish even after bead blasting. I am told that in the early 60's one of the gun mags did a test with a Husky in 30.-06. They packed the barrel with sand and touched off a full power load. The action stayed together just fine. They cleaned the rifle and fired it and it worked perfectly. This story was told me by the person who once served as editor of the "Husky News" news letter for HVA aficionados.

As far as stocks, I believe Great American Gunstocks inlets for the Husky and has several patterns, but perhaps not the orginal stock pattern. Actually there were several different original stock designs. May favorite is the schnabel forend with pancake cheek piece which graced the model 4100 lightweight. Richards Microfit also inlets for the HVA in several different patterns and perhaps even some of the original patterns.

Talley Manufacturing makes bases [and rings] for the action which look very nice and are very functional. Timney and Bold both make after-market triggers [the original triggers are very heavy]. You can also purchase from Brownell's a stiffer firing pin spring to speed lock time. Precise metalsmith makes a three position safety and also makes extractors for the rifle if you want to go that route.

I have heard it said [by some who seem to know] that it would cost an American manufacturer upwards of $1000.00 to machine an equivalent mauser action today. Whether they could also dupicate the very high quality swedish steel which these actions are made from, even at that price, is debatable. The HVAs small-ring configuration, and all of the foregoing make them well, well worth the $300.00-$400.00 that they can often be had for. They are a perfectly fine hunting rifle as is, and if you want, can be improved [trigger, firing pin spring, etc.] if you don't need to keep the rifle in its original configuration. I would much rather be on the mountain after game with a Husqvarna in my hands than a Rem 700 or other mass produced, modern American firearm.

Regarding stocks, I can also suggest stock maker John Vest of Redmond, Oregon. He does some fantastic metal and wood work with the Husqvarna. His phone is 541-923-8898.

Regards,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the original Smith & Wesson rifles were made by Husky. The ones I have looked at seemed first rate. [Smile]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The two guys I know who shot Huskys broke stocks.My FN-husky was a mess (beech )when I bought it .I think they need tobe bedded like a mauser.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote