Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

poor mans double rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I hope someone here can offer some advice. I've read about the 45-70 inserts that can be used on IZH sxs shotguns (20"). Does anyone have one. I'm thinking about getting one, but would like some first had input from an owner before I take the plunge. I did a search, but didn't read much in the way of a review on this gun.

How's recoil, accuracy, reliability?

Posts: 16 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This has been my latest project.
For the price it is a fine, very basic piece. Seems to work every time and operationally I have absolutely no problems. The inserts (I have two) install easily and also work well in terms of function. The inserts are actually made in Italy.
I have two inserts. Each insert comes with two eccentric bushings marked with one dot and two dots. These eccentrics also lock the rotation of the barrel. They are held on via a threaded, knurled sleeve that screws to the end of the insert barrel. Shots fired from each barrel actually group quite well.
The difficulty is in getting both barrels to shoot in the same position. I have machined additional eccentrics and have reduced the differences but it is a very tedious operation. Interesting though. I did speak with a gentleman at EAA who indicated that there were only the two eccentrics bushings available.

Some of the German inserts use screws to adjust the location of the insert and I am in the process of working out some of the kinks on building that type of bushing rather than the eccentric type provided.
Bottom line is that the gun works well, the inserts seem to be fine, but if you are planning to use two you will have your work cut out with regulation unless you happen to be lucky and the provided bushings provide for proper regulation.
I have fired about 400 rounds up to this point.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rob had the best advice...

get it within 4 inches at 50, and tig weld it together...

how's your's shooting?
jeffe

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My experience confirmed. I went further step, however. I had another set of eccentrics made. I got my 4" at 50 yards... actually quite better and quit. I have limited my shooting to 500 grain hard cast bullets at 1400 fps. I had to "unscrew" the front bead a bit to get the gun to shoot "down" to aim, however. I just put some glue on the bead to hold it in place until I get a decent ramp front put on... probalbly with a new rear sight, too.

So, what do I have...???? A double rifle that shoots 500 grain hard cast bullets at 1400 fps into less than 3 inches at 50 yards. It needs a good recoil pad, a new set of sights and that's about all. I have $600 in the gun with mods. Add another $65 for a properly fitted pad to get the pull to 14.75" and another $100 to get a set quasi-decent sights and I'll have a really fun
rifle for well less than $1000 that will do whatever is needed to North American game within 75 yards.... and that ain't so bad.

Still, when the new EAA double rifle comes out.... I'll be first in line.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Could you tell me where to order the inserts for the shotgun? The local distributor didn't know anything about .45-70 inserts for the shotgun.
Also, are these inserts useable in other side-by-side shotguns?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey guys can anyone post a picture of tthese inserts?

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A real poor man's double is a SXS 12 ga using slugs. Problem is finding a SXS shotgun with the right chokes. Inserts never work quite right. There's always something wrong.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting thing when I bought my inserts. The local EAA dealer knew very little about the inserts. Another dealer ordered them through a wholesaler. I believe the wholesaler is Jerry's Sporting Goods.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JudgeG...I emailed, but I'll also post it here. I emailed EAA. They have a sxs double rifle set to be released here in the US sometime late this year. It is going to be chambered in 45-70 along with 5-6 other calibers. Barrel is 23.5 inches long. One barrel is set and the second is adjustable to be set with an adjustment screw.

MSRP is to be in the $650 range.

For more info goto the EAA web site and look under long guns, then break action rifles.

Posts: 16 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote