New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber stock finish?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what Kimber finishes their wood stocks with. The rifle in question is at least a "within the last year" of production. Thanks.

Chuck

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I once saw a picture of a Kimber employee finishing a stock, AND in the background was a gallon can of Flecto, Varathane brand Antique Oil. At one time I could buy this finish and have done about a dozen stocks with it. I prefer it to any other finish. Unfortunately, I can no longer get it and I wonder if it is still available through Flecto? I know that Flecto/Varathane was bought-out by Rust-o-leum, but no paint store in my area (West Texas) can get it. If anyone can get it, let me know. I'll gladly purchase a gallon and pay for the shipping.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would also like to know but If you call Kimber they will tell you that they dont know. I was told this just last year and to top that off I was told by cust. service that they are outsourced from CostRica.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
similar finish is Deft danish oil - combination of urethane and tung oil

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
similar finish is Deft danish oil - combination of urethane and tung oil

butchloc, do you have to use walnut filler in the pores before you oil the wood? My kimber's pores seem to have a walnut filler in the pores.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
generally i use a couple of heavy coats of GB linspeed to fill pores and sand it almost completely off. then i'll apply 4 or 5 coats of deft sanded in with a block and 400 grit w/d paper, and then finish with a couple coats of dull tung oil applies the same way

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote