Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Model 70-Style Shroud for M98
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I've used the Dakota quite a bit & it does retain the gas shield you're refering to.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zlr,
I used Wisners, it retains the large gas shield.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. Also thanks for subtley pointing out the fact that that big round thingie in front is the gas shield, lol! I knew that, no, really!

Doug, one last question about the Dakota, in the picture I have the shield looks to be substantially smaller than the military shroud. Is it? I quess I've gotten used to the loks of the original shrouds.

Does anyone by chance have a pic of the Wisner's? Also, any contact info and/or idea of price.

Thanks again,

Mike

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the Wisner safety. This is a kit and not a complete safety. The Wisner (PME) safety runs about $30. You can send him your M98 shroud and he will machine it for an additional $70 I think. This is only a 2position safety though.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jim posts on this forum. Just awhile ago he advised that he was working on a batch of about 50 3 position safeties and would have them done in a month or so. I bought one many years ago when Brownells still sold them and it was about $150, so I suppose they have gone up just a bit. If you are not good with machines you will also have to have it installed and the price can vary depending on who you have install it for you, but I would figure at least $200 for the safety and the install.Remember that you have to have the trigger and the cocking piece that you are going to use with that safety when you have the safety installed. It is a custom fit deal and if you change out the trigger or the cocking piece it might not work anymore without fitting.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is a picture of Jim Wisner's 3-position safety:
safety pic .

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Dakota shrould has the same contour as a commercial FN shrould used with a side safety. Yes it is a bit lower than a 98 shrould but just as wide.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug-

Was that a Dakota that you put on my 404?

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep. How have you been?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I recently bought one of the NECG safeties through Midway without doing my homework first and while it's pretty, DGR it isnt. First, it is a two position that does not lock the bolt. The third position only locks the the safety lever via a tiny lever mounted into the top of the swing lever. This must be pushed down while the swing is pushed forward; a very unatural movement and likely to cause a missed opportunity at best or a serious animal control problem at worst. I hope thay have changed it since this one. I'm going with Wisner's next.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a 2 positon from Wisner, don't know if he still has any of those on hand. I'll be changing the trigger on the Whitworth to a Timney at the same time. The 2 position has the shroud in the white and neeeds polish and blueing, but it looks like a quality piece.

By the way, what kind of fitting is needed to match trigger and safety. I thought the 2 position blocked the firing pin and didn't realize it interacted with the trigger directly. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, it does not block the trigger. It cams back the cocking piece so it can not move.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,
How does the Gentry M98 3 pos safety stack up with the New England Guns and the Dakota? Just ordered one and then saw this thread. I'd love to know why one is better than the other. Between these three, 2 of the three are priced within $5 of each other. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the three position safetys for the Mauser, nowadays start out as 1.250" bar stock.

The old military safety is 1.300" in diameter, to house the old safety lever in its top.

The pic that TC1 has is of the military sleeve that has been converted to a two postion safety.

The pic that Glen71 shows is the safety that Precise Metalsmithing made from 1989 to 2002.

I am currently redrawing some of the cosmetic cuts on the outside, for when we run them on the CNC mill. Hope to have the safetys finished by the first of April.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Wisner,
Will you possibly be making a 2 or 3 position safety available for the new left handed Charles Daly Mausers?

Umm, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Huntr

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got 2 of the Gentry's on Mausers and they are very well made. Can't say as to how they stack up against the others but Dave's service is up there with the best, and I live in South Africa. He is always available to answer e-mails.

Pete M

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jim do you have a projected price for your 3 position safetys? Being manufactured by way of CNC hopfully they will be a wee bit less expensive that the rest. So as to cut into their market share of course

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huntr338

I am not holding my breath on the Daly LH action until I get one. I am more interested in making a safety for the Mini Mauser.

D Humbarger

The Mauser three position safety will retail for 149.95 USD.

FYI for the duration of 2004, this safety will be sold to consumers. After Jan 1 2005 it will be sold only to gunsmiths.

As far as the market share. I have done that already. It is not what it is cracked up to be. When we were selling this safety thru Brownells we would average 450 to 500 units a year. Remember this was on all MANUAL mills and lathes.

It was a full time job for 1 1/2 persons.

On a personal note, my wife and I are expecting our first child in two months. I plan to be there for the kid as he grows up. Since I am allready working 70 plus hours a week something is going to have to be changed in order to do that. I plan on producing the best quailty parts for the price, however I may not be able to do all that I was doing before. On the bright side, I have a few new items coming out for 2005 that will make you slober.

Jim Wisner

Custom Metalsmith.

jwisner@quik.com

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the child Jim! Please put me down for one of those shrouds. I emailed you requesting price before you posted it here.

Thanks!

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote