Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why I quit being a grunt and became a pilot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
I have a funny memory from my days at Concord NWS long ago. There was no Marine mess facility on base, so we ate with the swabbies, of course. Now, the chow hall there only had an enlisted mess and a combined Chief's/Officer's mess. See the problem forming?

Well, a slight grey area arose as a result of the differing rank/rate structures of the USMC and USN, with the USMC making that enlisted "hump" between E5 (NCO) and E6 (SNCO) while the Navy makes the same division between E6 (1st Class) and E7 (CPO).

Lo and behold, we had a salty old Staff Sergeant (E6) who insisted on eating in the Chief/Officer mess. Only proper, I thought, since he was a Staff NCO. Well, you could see the room get quiet and a few faces get red when he sat down with his tray each time. Of course, no one ever said a word to him. Hell, I wouldn't either, if I were them. I'd been witness to a few of his more agitated moments, and wouldn't think it a healthy option for anyone to press the issue.

Plus, our Major loved it, and told him to eat wherever he damned well pleased.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

Your SSGT & your major were RIGHT. Staff NCO's RATE separate messing. Of course, they could have built him his own chow hall.

Sure did enjoy the staff NCO club at Subic, on those rare occasions when I didn't actually hit the beach.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our unit went aboard ship once for exercises off Camp Pendleton. My Sergeant Major insisted that I be billeted in Chief's area and eat in their mess. Master Chief had a fit. The Navy won that one

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
My first tour of duty was in Taiwan in 1967, at a small, remote base called Shu Lin Kou Air Station. It was up in the mountains about 30 miles from Taipai. The chow hall there was voted the best chow hall-service wide-in the world. Marble fountain with Koi, waiters, made to order ice cream sundays, lobster tail on Friday, Charbroiled Rib Eyes on Wednesday. It was tough. Sorry I only spent a year there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one of my favorite stories from that mission on Kodiak involved the BOQ. I called and made reservations for "Captain AZWriter"

When I showed up collect the keys the woman at the front desk gave me a really strange look. I figured out why when I got to my room - it was palatial. Obviously, they thought I was an O6 when I made the reservation.

Hey Jorge - Beat Navy!

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I spent 20 years as a grunt, wouldn't change it for anything. Times like the grunts in the picture are some of my fondest memories.

Rangers Lead the way.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your service. One of the neighbor kids joined up last year. He is already over in the sand box with the Second Ranger. Great young man. When he was home on block leave we practiced room clearing together. He got sick of hearing "Smooth is fast, slow is smooth". Were we all that skinny and gangly at that age?

JCN

PS When you were a grunt at Artic Warfare Winter at Delta or up on a Jack/Brim Frost exercise did you ever piss off the back of a deuce and a half to see if it would freeze before it hit the ground?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote