Find
Notify
Tools

Light strike in a Savage 110???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Guys,

I have a 110 package rifle with an accutrigger that has just given me fits. First it would not shot groups consistently. As the stock was rather flexible, I replaced it with a Brownell's stock that has an aluminum frame that acts as pillars. It was then bedded. Still did not shoot.

Douglas looked at the barrel with a bore scope and found it was badly pitted just beyond the throat. So we made a new one for it ... air gauged and all of that. Head space checks perfectly.

The rifle will now not always go bang. The firing pin fall seems light. The trigger has been adjusted to be light. Any chance this could affect the firing pin fall?

The trouble is occurring on rounds loaded on LC 85 brass that has been pocket swaged with an RCBS tool. Anyone seen problems with that? Have never had a problem before with brass so processed ... always worked in a Rem 7400, Springfield M1A, Sig AMT, and an M60.

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the firing pin protrusion? I have had some Savage rifles come in where the firing pin had screwed itself back into the cocking piece and needed to be re-adjusted and a dab of lock tite applied to stay in place.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Please explain how to do that. The bolt end piece has been loosened once, so I can get it off but am not familiar with further take-down.

Thank you!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Adjusting a Savage firing pin is not rocket science but should be undertaken with the supervision of someone with prior experience first. Unless you are extreemly mechanical I would seek the advice of a gunsmith. There is an thread on truing and timing a Savage bolt on the 6mm BR website under the gunsmithing forum. You also may want to look at the Savage Shooters web site forum, especially in the frequently asked questions . There is a wealth of information on both these web sites. A light strike could be the result of a number of things:

1.Firing pin out of adjustment for length

2. Main spring set to light

3 Headspacing not set right

4. Firing pin worn or broken.

5. Firing pin assembly is dirty

Good luck
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6. Bolt that goes in the rear of the bolt assembly is loose.....old ones were slotted, new ones are hex drive. If it comes loose it will give you a light strike.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote