Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Burgess' mag box dimension formula!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
I have a pre-war, transition Model 70 30-06 that feeds like no other gun I've ever handled. Wait, thats wrong. I also have a CZ 98/22 that feeds 8x57 Mausers so smoothly you can hardly feel them engage the bolt, it also ejects those same shells half way across the room with little to no effort as you pull the bolt back. Guess it means the magazine boxes were both designed for the specific cartridge. My 338 Classic feeds pretty good, but not as smoothly as the pre-64 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's a mathmatically perfect box or a function of the case design, but my 1957 M70 300 H&H mag feeds better than any rifle I have ever cycled. The bolt cycle is almost the same if I am feeding cartridges or the box is empty

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a Mauser for feeding. Pre-64's ain't bad either. I believe that the H&H's in the M70 had the boxes a bit wider than would be ideal according to the formula. All that I have seen held 4 down in the box. The short magnums only held 3 down. That's just been my experience and I'm about 5 miles from being an expert on these matters.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote