New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Phil Fischer still doing metalwork
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
some of my older reading material has considerable mention of a metalworking genius by the name of Phil Fisher. Is he still doing work. If so, where is he.

<allen day>
posted
Phil lived in Portland for quite some time, and I knew him well, going back to 1980 or thereabouts. Then he moved to eastern Oregon where he continued to do gunsmithing part-time. Unfortunately, his health deteriorated and the last time I saw Phil, he was in a wheelchair. This was several years ago, and I don't know his whereabouts or the status of his health today. I seriously doubt that he is doing any riflework at all these days.

AD

<Guest>
posted
too bad there isn't some one somewhere who is compiling stories and histories and photos of all of these elderly great makers of yesteryear.

<Guest>
posted
If one looks on page 76 of their Gund Digest Review of Custom Guns there is a beautiful example of very very fine custom metalwork by Mr. Fisher. On the left is a large ring action that Mr. Fisher lengthened to take .375 length cartridges and on the right is a small ring masuer that he shortened to take .250 savage length cartridges.

Very very fine metalwork indeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
blue,
The ACGG has been interviewing aging gunmakers for years. They do not have to belong to the Guild, we just want to preserve some of their tales and put it down so it isnt lost.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Chic, if you'd like, I could ask Earl Milliron if he'd be willing to do such an interview. He lives about an hour's drive from my house. His story really needs to be told, not only for his Jack O'Connor story, but for his checkering, stock design, and stock finishing concepts.

Tom Burgess as another great who deservs an interview....

AD

<Guest>
posted
I would imagaine that some would object as it being an invasion of their privacy, but not only should they be interviewed, but they should also be filmed during that inverview, and a representation of their life's work should be filmed as well. The Custom Gun Guild should start an archives of these great gunmakers so that they and their work can be studied for years and years to come.

Earl has been around for quite some time. While he is filming Mr. Fischer he should also do a film of himself. And while he is at it, it would not hurt to do one of Mr. Waldron as well!