New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which trigger do you prefer?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I'm trying to decide on a trigger for my custom .300 RUM. It is being built on a Rem 700 action. I know many of you prefer Jewell triggers but how about Timney and Shilen? Does any one have any experience with these other brands?

Thanks for the input,

Al

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Al-

Check my post on here about Shilen triggers...

For hunting rifles, I use Timney. For target rigs, Jewell. But I'm looking into Shilen right now myself.

I'll be following your post as well as mine to see what the guys here have to say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
timmnies make good hunting rifle triggers.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Jewels are the Cadillacs, but the Timmneys work very well for hunting rigs.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Timny

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Consider the RifleBasix trigger sold by www.sinclair intl.com I installed two of them on two different 700s. I own a Jewell and a Timmny, the RifleBasix feels very close to the Jewell, easy to adjust. I purchased the 2-3lb model. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Timney Featherweight is real nice, Midway has the sportsman onsale for $27.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jewell Triggers by far are second to none.
That Rem trigger that you have,with a little work will be better than any Timney.
I have used Jewell,Timney,Canjar,Shilen&Anschutz on Rem 40X's & 700's.
I have not tried Davies,as sold by Warner Tool Co in N.H.
By attrition, the others are getting replaced by JEWELL'S.
DAN

Posts: 13 | Location: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried a Jewell trigger and while they are a mechanical marvel of precision, I find the trigger itself too thin for my taste. I grew up with the wide trigger on Remington's and just can't get used to the "skinny" feel of the Jewell. The good news is a good 'smith can really work over (not just adjust) a Rem 700 trigger to make it into a great hunting trigger.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
DB Bill, more good news. RifleBasix just upgraded their triggers with a wider shoe like the factory's. For the price this is an excellent trigger, Sinclair considers this trigger the next step under the Jewell.
sure-shot

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
How about the original Winchester Model 70 stock trigger. PRE 64. The entire mechanism can be adjusted to any practical hunting condition. It's not a benchrest trigger but sure works well under all practical hunting situations. And, it doesn't wear out in 10 years!!! Mine is 60 years old and has never had anything but pull adjusted. jim

------------------

<Kerry.S>
posted
Timney