New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffer/grinder to turn 600-800 rpm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anybody got an idea of what I can use for turning a wheel at 600-800RPM's? I have higher speed (although unknown speed) grinder and buffer, but want something between 600-800.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As I recall most motors are 1800 or 3600 rpm. You can get pillow blocks with shafts and mount a pully and belt on it to drop the rpm.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if somebody is getting set to do some slow rust bluing...

My Baldor polishing lathe is turning at 1725 on slow. I believe this is way too fast because all the actual rust is dusted off and only a blue 'stain' remains. I am experimenting with a FN barrel right now rusting in the shop going for a thick built up rust blue...

You might have to chuck up the brush in your lathe- I am working on that one. Or, like I used to do, lock your old electric drill in the vice and have a spin...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way I know of to get the slow speed you want is to use a pillow block, with a motor with a small sheave attached. An old washing machine motor works. You have to do the math to figure out pully diameters and speeds. You want a small diameter pully on the motor shaft and a larger one on the other end.
Don

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Variable speed motor and controller - you can turn it any speed you want. When your done it is easy enough to sell it or turn it into a knife grinder..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote