Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle back?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like Montana Rifle might be back:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...y-returning-in-2023/

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The return of MRC would not be "a bad thing", IMO.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good news. tu2 One of my last rifle purchases was a Montana Rifle Company rifle in 6.5 PRC. Shortly after I received the rifle the company closed down. Looking forward to the company reopening. tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I’m embarrassed that I hadn’t heard of their closing.

I’m sure that Covid deserves most of the blame, but I can’t help but notice that they closed the year after being bought out.

Maybe if it were still a family owned and family run company it would have closed just the same, but I doubt it.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I’m embarrassed that I hadn’t heard of their closing.

I’m sure that Covid deserves most of the blame, but I can’t help but notice that they closed the year after being bought out.

Maybe if it were still a family owned and family run company it would have closed just the same, but I doubt it.
Don't know if Covid played a part, or not. All the major firearms mfg. did a booming business then. Gun sales are just within the past few months starting to slow by the number of "reduced prices" I'm beginning to see from the wholesalers I do business with. Seems they (MRC) was always looking for CNC set-up/operators and gunsmiths. The last group that had 'um was kinda' pickey about who they wanted to sell to. If I remember correctly, there was 4-5 pages to fill out for a FFL before they'd consider selling to ya'. Wanted all kinds of inventory numbers and annual sales figures. All I was interested in was buying 4-5 actions to have in the shop for sale as a complete rifle. I'd have sold just an action for proper pricing. When a FFL with tax permit, a diploma from GS school 25yrs prior isn't enough, kinda' made me wonder what the he!! (I always pay up front and never ask for credit). I definitely thought their (MRC) business practices were a bit strange, at the time. I had several clients asking me about MRC at the time.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I bought an H&H length magnum action and built a .450 Ackley. Had all kinds of ignition problems and they freely admitted that they sent out a bunch of actions with bad springs but never bothered to follow up on it.

This was after waiting 3-4? years on the PH action charter and what a fiasco that turned out to be.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
I bought an H&H length magnum action and built a .450 Ackley. Had all kinds of ignition problems and they freely admitted that they sent out a bunch of actions with bad springs but never bothered to follow up on it.

This was after waiting 3-4? years on the PH action charter and what a fiasco that turned out to be.
Never had any ignition problems, but had some mag spring problems with the larger cartridges (.416 Rem., .458 Lott in particular) Never did buy any actions (or rifles) after the new owner(s) of the company took over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still have one of the original offering intermediate actions in the white with barrel and CZ stock for the then popular 376 Steyr.

Not so popular any more... Big Grin

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...worked over five of them...all sorts of isues, feeding, ejecting, misalighnments. broken extractors..all soft parts subject to galling...Every issue was met with "It meets our specs"

If new operartions clean up the problems, not a bad looking action and some good ideas,, I wish them lcuk

Posts: 3626 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I’ll admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to feeding and functioning- what’s the point of a bunch of fancy features if it doesn’t work.

MRC produced what I’d call a “TV Show” product. Looks great in the hands of the star of the show but not enough detail or understanding regarding the areas that matter.

For a side rant, do any of the modern rifle manufacturers even use what they produce? Some of the stuff out there is about as ergonomic as a chunk of bed frame lagged to a few bricks with some uni-strut holding a telescope to the dang thing…

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the price point MRC actions were selling for, when Sipe had it, I expected to have to do some 'tuning' to get function "up to snuff".

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I bought two actions, both lef-handed, long ago during their initial pre-production offer. I’ve built both into rifles for me. First is a 6.5-284 that I’ve hunted many times with. The second is a .416 Rigby that hasn’t been in the field yet. I like the ones I have. I wish their restart great success.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent one backk 4 times, told them each time just to stick the damn reamer in all the way as the bolt won't close. they refused until the last send back and they fixed it and said the chamber was too short!! well duh, I sold the damn gun even though it was finally fixed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote