Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber choice......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
Im getting ready to build a rifle for a very good friend of mine and Im stuck on caliber choice. He already has a .257 Roberts and 2 .30-06 rifles.

He is looking for something a litter bigger in bore size. I was thinking of recommending the .35 Whelen but Im not sure that is a good recommendation. He already has two .06's. So...give me some opinions. No Magnums. He is like me in that respect. Neither of us have any use for a magnum.

The rifle will be used for Elk/Moose/Bear hunting.
Yeah I know....the 30-06 will do all of that...but humor me.
The action is a 98 mauser, Argentine bottom metal, Turkish stock blank. This is the only true custom he will ever have. I want to do right by him.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I wanna be your friend!

I'd say either .338-06 or 9.3x62. I am still working on my .338-06, just sent the receiver out for heat treatment today, yipee!!!!

I like the bullet selection in the .338's better than the .35's.

Eventually, I'll get around to building a 9.3x62 myself but have no intentions of trying the Whelen.

[ 10-31-2003, 02:24: Message edited by: z1r ]

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Easy one my friend......338-06

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Guess?

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I would choose a 270 or 7X64/280 rem for deer sheeps, goat and antelope's

For bear, elk, moose, large plains game 338 win or a 9,3X ? I would never choose a 35 since it gives up too much of the much needed sectional dencity. There are more maker of factory ammo in 338 and 9,3X62 than in 35 Whelen

300 mags are a bit too large for deers, antelope etc and a bit small for the really big game.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

[ 10-31-2003, 15:35: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.35 Whelen - with a 1:12 barrel

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bill,

.376 Steyr...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
A nice touch would be a .338X.284 with a 10 twist and a long throat to handle 3.25 oal using a 300gr. bullet that doesn't have to be pushed into the powder room as you might have to do with a .338X06.(That's a lot of thought in one sentence.)A little rail and follower work and your buddy has some bragging fodder. What are friends for? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Maybe an 8mm Mauser would work nicely, a reasonable step up from the '06, particularly if he hand loads, classic round, and most importantly not a magnum.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
.35 Whelen or 9.3x62 if he does not reload, .375 Hawk/Scovill if he does. The advantage of either the 9.3 or the .375 is that if he ever decides to hunt Africa, both would be legal (though perhaps marginal) for dangerous game in most countries.

Actually, I just went through this and could not make up my mind, so my Model 95 lever action is being set up as a takedown with both a Whelen and a Hawk barrel.

Dave

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.35 Whelen

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen, 12" twist, 24" bbl.
But even better would be the 375-06 Imp.
He could have lots of fun with that one.
Either will push 250g around 2500 - 2600 fps.
And there's the whole world of cast bullets, too.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, if he reloads, I would go with the 9.3x62. If not then the Whelen. The 9.3 is just that much more bullet than the whelen, and is gettin a lot closer to the .375 H&H performance. It is a standard cartridge but the possiblity of getting ammo in Dip Stick Washington (just down the road from Hunters) is highly unlikely. Bullets are readily available, with the exception of Dip Stick again. Would be a real unique rifle and will kill anything put in front of it. I am also assuming if he peddles this rifle you will track him down and they will never find his remains so he is looking at a rifle he will live with a long time (or die with at a shorter interval).

You are welcome. For the help that is what, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I favor the 35 whelen just because it is an American classic. When you come right down to it there is no reason for any cartridge developed after about 1930! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
A couple of hunters I know have really fallen in love with the .338-06.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would either go for the 9.3x62 it really is a well balanced cartridge, or a .375 H&H and I would probably lean towrads the .375 H&H if it's going to be his only custom. It can be loaded with 210 gr x bullets and be really flat shooting and if one wants can load right up to the 350 gr woodleigh's. I would not choose a 338-06 over a .375 I do not belive it is half as versatile.

If he really wants to be exotic why not a classic styled .404 Jeffery.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Smart*ss. We will be hand loadin for it. I dont think he will ever sell it either. I had to nearly beat him unconscious to get him to sell me one of this rifles a couple of years ago.

P.S. Where's my scope??? Hmmm?? [Razz]

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have considered all chamberings mentioned......I may just draw from a hat if I cant make up my mind in the end. [Smile]

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The 9.3X62 is a great african round, but I feel that the Whelen is better suited for hunting in the lower 48 because of the bullets available. There is NOTHING in the lower 48 that nessesitates a 270 grain bullet. Not even texas heart shots. Make it a 35 Gibbs and youve got the best of both lumped together, but not without a few caveats. I like the 338-06 or the Whelen.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<rimshot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
The 9.3X62 is a great african round, but I feel that the Whelen is better suited for hunting in the lower 48 because of the bullets available. There is NOTHING in the lower 48 that nessesitates a 270 grain bullet. Not even texas heart shots. Make it a 35 Gibbs and youve got the best of both lumped together, but not without a few caveats. I like the 338-06 or the Whelen.

I've never heard of a 35 Gibbs. It sounds real interesting. Can you tell me about it?
rimshot
Blue Collar Shooter Magazine

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
The action is a 98 mauser, Argentine bottom metal, Turkish stock blank. This is the only true custom he will ever have. I want to do right by him.

This statement makes a case for the 9.3X62 as being the best choice. If one wants a custom 35 Whelen it should really be based on the 1903 Springfield action. A German round should be based on a German action just as an American round should be based on an American action. [Wink]

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote