New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corespondence courses
 Login/Join

<GJS>
posted
Quick question everyone, does any one know of any good corespondence course in gunsmithing on-line or by mail?
Thanks again
-GJS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJS:
Quick question everyone, does any one know of any good corespondence course in gunsmithing on-line or by mail?
Thanks again
-GJS

I think they used to advertise such things in Popular Mechanics and maybe Field and Stream. Can't say if the schools were worth a flip.

Personally, I think I would do a search for gunsmithing schools on line, find the major schools and see if any offer correspondence courses. Beware of scams.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos & GJS, years ago I did one of the correspondance 'smithing courses. I did learn quite a bit of info, although they didn't teach me much about the techniques I wanted to learn. I don't know what they cost now, back in the day it was about $100. Read Dunlap's book, the Brownell's "Kinks" books and a few others I'm sure everyone here could come up with, and I believe you would be ahead. Also, some of the gunsmithing videos are well worth the cost. A picture being worth.... etc. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Kboom>
posted
GJS,
AGI has videos on various firearms types, these sometimes get mixed revews. Kunhnausen is starting to publish videos, haven't seen them yet but his manuals are exellent. Brownells sells a number of videos of gunsmithing seminars. If you can swing some vacation time you might want to look into the NRA gunsmithing seminars, there's nothing like a real instructor. http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?url=http://www.nrahq.org/education/gunsmithing.asp

<Celt>
posted
I too did the mail order thing about 16 yrs ago.
I was already well read and doing some minor smith work.
It taught me a couple things, but all in all it was a waste of $400.00
I would find a smith and see if you can work a couple hours or so a week for free, just to learn.
Although this may be hard since alot of us smiths don't like to give secrets away.

I would get some of the books listed above in the other posts. read read read and paractice on your own guns and then maybe some of your buddies.

I have not seen those smithin video tapes, but I hear they are pretty decent.

Celt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GJS - I took my advice and did some quick searching on the internet but was unable to find any correspondence courses on gunsmithing that sounded worth a flip.

I believe far and away the best school is Trinidad State Junior College. I have known some of their grads and they know their stuff.

However, probably 2/3rd or more of the "gunsmiths" in this country never went to formal schooling on the subject. Any idiot can hang out a shingle. They may or may not be competent.

A lot depends on how good you are with tools, mechanical drawings and machinery. If a person is good in all the above, he COULD become a pretty top notch 'smith by studying on his own. There are books available out there to teach about anything you need to learn and nothing to stop you from going that route....if you really have the mechanical background and skills with hands etc to do it.

Just depends on you.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote