New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rem 700 adl conversion to DM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The remington detatchable mag works very well as it is durable and since it has two releases it is very hard to accidently release it and lose it.If you want to use the factory system you need to buy the magazine and bottom metal and a stock made for this system.This is not a cheap conversion.It is too bad that you bought the bdl stock as unless it is made for the detatchable magazine you will not be able to use the factory magazine system.You will instead have to use an aftermarket system if you want to use the bdl stock.The kwik klip system is the cheapest but they are of low quality.H-S precision apparently makes a conversion as well but I have no experience with them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a s/a 308 adl. I have just aquired bdl stock. I would like to use a detachable magazine on this rifle. Can you please tell me exactly which parts I need to aquire..magazine/special trigger guard with latch?
Does the d/m rem 700 work well?

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trans_pond,
You also need to mill the front 2" =/- of the feed rails off the old action as the feed rail is in the clip and it will not fit unless you do. The DM bottom metal will work in the BDL stock but it needs some modification. I built a left hand BDL for a friend and then he decided that he wanted detachable magazines. This was a bad decision in a finished rifle. The inletting had to be changed several times until we got both magazines working well and then he tinkered with the clip feed rails and it was hell to get both working the same.

Looks pretty and shoots very well but it had it's growing pains.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox-I converted a bdl to a detatchable magazine by ordering a properly inletted stock from mcmillan and the factory magazine and bottom metal.I then had the action pillar bedded into this stock so the magazine fit perfectly against the feed rails.The feed rails were left as is and the gun feeds just fine.With proper fitting the feed rails do not have to be machined.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might well be right. We borrowed a factory one and noticed that the feed rails were altered so we just did it. Glad to hear it works without it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Transpond

I would recomend you to do no work at all on the stock when it comes to the magazine and instead order one form HS precision.
Those are made in steel and of very high quality, its completly different from the alloy sh.. that is installed original.

Regards H�kan

Posts: 70 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 26 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you guys get the bottom metal for the Remington DM conversions?

thanks, Al

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the h-s kit but I have used the factory remington system extensively as have several hunting partners.They are durable and trouble free.
I live in canada so I bought the bottom metal and magazine from western gun parts in edmonton alberta.The cost for the kit was about $140 canadian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Where did you guys get the bottom metal for the Remington DM conversions?

Look on Ebay under Remington 700, BDL and DM bottom metal is on all the time, along with barrels, stocks of all varieties, triggers, etc.

Remington 700 on Ebay

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote