New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-sieze?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it recommended to use any anti-seize compound specifically Loctite Anti-seize stick w/ graphite when putting new barrels in actions?

I was looking a new barrels and it was a recommended product that popped up.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it will hurt. I use anti-seize when installing barrel nuts on AR's, when threading stainless into stainless, or, when threading dissimilar metals together i.e. stainless barrels into chrome moly receivers. Otherwise I use Breakfree.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with using a graphite based anti-seize is that graphite is carbon and is electrically conductive. Over time it can cause corrosion. It is better to use a moly disulfide based anti-seize.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TreeFarmer:
The only problem with using a graphite based anti-seize is that graphite is carbon and is electrically conductive. Over time it can cause corrosion. It is better to use a moly disulfide based anti-seize.

How about good ole choke tube anti-seize? Wink

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Treefarmer; The corrosion you describe requires two disimilam metals, and an electrolyte conductor.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
For SST to SST use nickle based Never-Seez. This is the manufactures recomendation.
For Carbon Steel use the moly/graphite based version.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any bolt I don't loctite in place I smear with anti-seize

And I would NEVER loctite a barrel, they are enough of an absolute bastard to remove (sometimes) that I'd never in a million years try to make the job any tiny bit more of a PITA.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The important thing to remember about anti-seize is never wipe your hands on your pants!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote