THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

welding up pits and surface grinding an action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have a very important project and I was wondering who you use for such jobs. I usually do the tig work myself, but this gun needs to be as close to cosmetically perfect as possible....I'm not that good with my welder. I'm much more concerned with the outcome than turn around time, though sometime before I die would be good. Its a mauser action and I am would like to save the proof marks along with maker marks.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if you intend to surface grind that action, you will probably lose the crest and proof marks when it is ground.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
thanks for the input. There is no crest on the action....I'm most concerned with the commercial proof marks and the oberndorf name on the wall.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

The hot setup is to find a laser welder. Those machines, with a good operator, can do things that are hard to believe.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have plans to re-heat treat the action after the welding?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Do you have plans to re-heat treat the action after the welding?

What if the answer is no?

I've welded plenty of items on a receiver without having them heat treated. A good tig welder can weld quickly and without the itroduction of excess heat into the receiver. cetrainly not enough to anneal or even affect the temper of things like the lug seats.

After reading some of his posts and seeing the before and after pics of work he's done, I'd contact z1r (Mike McCabe).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a bit os sense come back into my head.....I think I can find a better action for said project.
Steve