THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a Rem 700 BDL be converted to a Detatchable Magazine??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Rem 700 BDL be converted to a Detatchable Magazine??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am collecting parts to have a gun built. While cruising the internet special on McMillan's site, they have the almost perfect stock listed. It's a LEFTY, but made for a detatchable magazine. Remington never offered a detatch. magazine model in Left Hand. Someone must have had the idea worked out before they ordered it. Anyone know if the magazine box/set up can be converted and if so how to get the parts?????

A quick scan thru Brownells shows no type of detatch mag housing or assembly. They offer several magazines and followers but nothing that looks like it would work.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are kits out there to convert. We have them at Trop Gun Shop in Elizabethtown, PA. I think they cost around $50. I'm not sure if they would work on a left handed rifle or not. Trop has an email address and a web site if you search it out.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had one of these in the shop. It was right hand and someone had converted it to a detachable mag model. It plain did not work and I had to convert it back to the regular BDL. It would not feed worth a $hit.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Robar website. They have a model QR2 with the detachable magazine. Don't know if you can get the parts but, take a look.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to? In my opinion detachable magazines are a nusiance; they are just one more thing that can fall out, that you can lose, that you can mistakenly leave on your cleaning bench, or that can otherwise cause trouble.

I think that for bolt action rifles the box magazine with hinged floorplate, with opening latch in the trigger guard, is the best solution to the magazine problem.

Of course, hinged floorplates can also cause trouble if the latch fails while you are hunting and dumps all your loads out on the ground. But I think that is a rarer occurrance than something untoward happening with a detachable magazine.

[ 10-02-2003, 21:38: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. LE 270 said it all.... Why?

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good reasons to use detachable magazines. Robar's conversion is good; uses converted M-14 mags but it's costly. Better choice for most users is the H-S Precision detachable magazine assembly sold on page twelve of Brownell's catalog number 56. It's stainless steel, fits standard BDL inletting with little if any additional work needed and it's priced at a couple hundred bucks so you get both a DM and much better bottom metal in the deal. Current mags are limited to standard factory capacity but 10-round mags are coming soon from H-S in both short and long action lengths and Prairie Gunworks in Canada has short-action 6 and 10-round mags available now.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw an ad in Rifleshooter (I think). H-S is running a deal on stock and detachable magazine set-ups. Still more than a new rifle but if you wanted the stock it would probably be a good deal. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a stock for a friend a few years ago and it had the regular bottom metal. He decided that he wanted the detachable magazine and bought 2 of them and asked to have it converted. The Remington magazines require that the feed rails be modified, in fact, removed from a portion approximately 3/4 inch from the front to rhe rear of the action. The feed rails are built into the clip.

You talk about a damn disaster. I probably spent over 30 hours working on this #$%&&* POS arrangement. Finally got if functioning well. The depth of the magazine is very critical in the action on this set up and one would feed and the other magazine would not. Both of us decided early on that it was a very bad mistake. I am assuming that the kits do not require the feed rail modication but it was certainly not worth the incredible effort in this case. Of course he had the action lightened with numberous operations, at a cost of 3 gazillion dollars a pound. This is for a guy that is in better shape than almost anyone I have ever know. I don't think he did it to make it easier, but so that he can cover more ground.

[IMG]http://[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=7149&c=500&z=1"]  - [/url][/IMG]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote