THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Extending a short action 700 magazine for 350 Rem

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extending a short action 700 magazine for 350 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was messing around with the OAL of my 350 Rem yesterday and loaded three rounds to an OAL of 3.00 instead of the standard magazine lenght of 2.840 for the 700. W0W, it shot the smallest group of its life. Is there a good gunsmith that can extend my magazine to fit a 3.00

Posts: 60 | Location: Maupin | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Redside,

You can do what Jeff Cooper had done with his .350 RM: build it on a Mauser action. [Wink]

He also called it the .360 because he used loads with long-seated bullets.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can purchase a extended magazine from Brownells here. You will need to have the receiver, stock, and bolt stop modified to fit it, but it is a hair shy of 3inches.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it possible the throat is long and that is what affected the accuracy?
i just wonder because mine shoots very, very well at 2.8". the barrel was set back after the action was done and a standard reamer was used.
just wondering if it really was the oal or just the bullets were closer to the rifling?
how could you tell which it was? i think it would be cheaper to set the barrel back.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Rich Riley of High Tech Gunsmithing in Colorado has lengthened a number of short-action 700 magazines to allow 3.00 or a hair better cartridge length. He has just finished one for a friend and one for me in 6.5 WSM (yeah, I know that Win hasn't done this yet, it's my "wildcat" nature). [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woofer:
is it possible the throat is long and that is what affected the accuracy?

I'd wonder about that, too. I have a Model 70 in 7mm Remington with a long throat, and bullet seating closed groups up from 1.75" to something much smaller.

Tom

Posts: 14597 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe, you have a p.m.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote