New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 firing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to have a rifle built on a Remington 700 action and was wondering if I should replace the firing pin to an after market one like one by Taylor.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
It might depend on what you are going to use the gun for? ......and the fit of the current factory pin....if the pin fits the bolt pin hole well and you aren't going to be shooting offhand style shooting then I would leave the factory one in and just get a spare firing pin spring......if you are getting the bolt detailed and the firing pin hole is larger than the current pin then get a oversize pin to fit the bolt hole.......the lighter composite pins and heavier springs can be a help on off hand -unsupported shooting and less so in BR or varmint type supported shooting.....this is feedback from mu gunsmith and other shooters who have or have not replaced factory pins/springs....most reccomend a good fresh spring and the tools to disassemble the bolt and pin for spring changes and routine bolt cleaning and lube......good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, might as well put in my two cents worth...Have you ever taken apart a 700? If so, you are aware this no job to do out in the field. I don't know if this is a serious hunting gun for hippogators and such, but if it is, I'd leave the heaviest firing pin in place...seeya Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote