New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with Mauser safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I need help fast. My favorite hunting rifle, FN Mauser, had the safety flag snap in half this morning. I am headed out for a week in the field and need a replacement. Locally, 75 miles from here, is a shop that has two available, one is a a Dayton Traister, the other is a Buehler style by Timney.

They have them both in stock but won't be able to install them in time. I need help in choosing which to install myself. Any difficulties in installing either, any input on which performs better. This is just a temporary fix until after hunting season when I get an Ed Lapour three position safety installed.

I am capable of the installation so no worries, it's just that I've never fooled with either and time is of the escence here.

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
The Dayton is easy to install should have inst. with it. If you can take the bolt apart its easy,30 mins. Not sure about the other never did one of those.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Dayton-Traister requires a slot to be cut in the shroud to retain the safety, should be the same as the original FN and so slot should already be cut unless it is for the other side. They made both left and right models. The Buehler is 2 piece with the flag being attached to the shaft portion with a small screw and the safety is held in by a flange that fits over the ridge on the shroud. I think the Buehler is the nicer LOOKING safety but both work equally as well. The Buehler is usually about twice the price of the Dayton-Traister. The Buehler was designed so no cuts had to be made to install.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I need to head out now in order to have time to install the pieces. I thnk I'll get the Buehler style since it requires no mods to the Shroud. Hopefully that should speed up the install.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Note that the Buehler swings on the right, whereas the original FN safety probably swung on the left. Not a problem -- just a difference.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote