Find
Notify
Tools

Remove rear sight on a Safari Express?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
How do you remove the rear site on a M70 Safari Express? I have taken every single screw I can see out and it is still on there. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's the same as the other model fold down sights. The sight blade (and it's base) slide out/lift out. The attachment screw for the island base is under the blade base.

It's The only one not visible that holds it on. Smiler

On the other hand, how old is the rifle? Earlier models may have used a different attachment.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thats what I thought but it doesn't want to slide out.

I have removed the screw that is just in front of the sight. Isn't this the screw that loosens the sight for windage adjustment?

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the right screw. (windage adjustment).

You may need to rap the sight base with something(brass or wood) to get it moving. Mine wasn't tight, but thats a sample of 1.

edited:
I should have said the blade base, not the sight base

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to remove the sight blade spring also. It is held down by that same screw.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I have tried tapping the sight (with the screw out) to get it to slide out but no dice.

How do I remove the sight blade spring?

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James C Scott:
Got to remove the sight blade spring also. It is held down by that same screw.

I have the screw out but dont see any spring.

The whole reason I am doing this is because the base has come loose and need to tighten it down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerIt's not a coil spring. The spring is under the screw for the windage adjustment screw. Once you loosen(enough) or remove that screw the sight blade should be floppy. It's a bent spring.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Dont know why it isn't working. I have the screw removed and the sight doesn't want to move left or right. Anyone know why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I should have said the windage adjustment screw tightens the spring down. It doesn't look like what you expect a spring to look like. It looks like just an adjustment indicator, but it's also the sight leaf spring. (you probably already know all this).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at your sight from the side. Is the sight base in a dovetail ? or is it in a square cut?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How old is this rifle?

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Dovetail. It was bought new in Nov.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
It is a 375 H&H that I gave to my dad as a present. He isn't too gun literate..... Do you think he could have done something to make it stick?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to apologize here for assuming your sight is the same as mine. It's going to take a sight pusher to get yours out. Since the sight is loose, it would be hard to get it out with a drift without damage to the attachment screw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
How do you remove the rear site on a M70 Safari Express? I have taken every single screw I can see out and it is still on there. Thanks in advance.

Your rifle should have this rear sight:

Classic Adjustable Rear Sight
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?welcometonecg.html~maindeal

If so, once you loosen the screw clamp arraigmment, you should be able to tap the dovetail sight free from the base.