New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choke tube stuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Benelli SBE that the choke tube is stuck in the barrel and will not unscrew. The choke tube wrench handle is bent and I am afraid to put too much torque on it for fear of denting the barrel or knocking the rib loose. Any ideas about how to get the tube unstuck?

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i had good luck freeing 1 up using pb blaster and an electric hair dryer....messy, but it worked...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soak it in Kroil for a week or two.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron

If you have access to a gunsmith or machinist you can machine a piece of steel to a slip fit in the choke, cross drill it for a piece of spring stock large enough diameter to file square on the protruding ends for a close fit in the notches of the choke. Then cross drill the body for an 8 inch piece of 1/4 inch rod for a T handle.

I have used this method to get stuck chokes out in my shop, hasn't failed me yet.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
If you contact Briley and promise to send them money, would say they can remove for you fairly quickly. As mentioned several gunsmiths earn their living with the choke tube business and should be able to help, but almost a sure thing that Briley could do it. Quality firm, but a bit on the pricey side. Good Luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone had a screw in choke that was stuck, and kept using it for years with steel shot on duck hunting trips.

My brother put a cheap socket wrench in the chuck of the rotary table on the vertical mill. He cut the outside until the socket wrench looked like a choke wrench.

He put the modified socket wrench on an air powered rotary hammer.

He soaked the muzzle of the shotgun in Kroil.

A bushing was cut and the barrel was put in a barrel vise mounted to a big steel welding bench.

He applied heat from a torch to the outside of the muzzle, but not enough to wreck the finish.

When the trigger was pulled on the rotary hammer, the choke came out in a second.

Rust was removed from the female threads inside the muzzle with a wire wheel.

Rust was removed from the the male threads on the choke.

Motor oil was applied to the threads, the same choke went back in the same shotgun and it was returned to the owner.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Has anyone monkeyed with the front sight? Whatever you use to soak it in, Kroil being at the top of the list, don't clamp too close to the choke tube, the barrel is fairly thin and clamping near or over the tube can pinch the tube and hold it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil it !. I've been using that stuff since it's inception dam good stuff .

Ever see the lugs or nuts on a boat trailer after continues salt water immersion ?. They're UGLY and more times than not snap right off when trying to be removed .Soak with kroil over night Magic 9 out of 10 come off every time .

This has always worked for any of our club shooters . Make an Ice Cube in the form of a barrel slug ( so as to slip into the choke ). With a hair dryer or heat gun heat the choke area , then put Kroil on or soak the choke tube end in it overnight .( Kroil only needs to soak overnight because if it doesn't work in that time frame It's NOT the ANSWER ) .

Next day wipe out with a clean rag slip the Ice cube in with the barrel pointing down let it set until the ice starts to melt away . Then lift up the shotgun rag wipe the barrel while it's still pointed down flip it over put the wrench to it .

CO2 Extinguisher also works , but I prefer the ice inside the choke tube as that's what I want to shrink rather than the barrel .

After removal clean threads inside of barrel as well as choke then lube with Krypton Grease Or Nickel anti seize " NOT COPPER Type " .
Never happen again !. It's NEVER FAILED ME .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any controlled experiments, but I had ~50 1903 Turk Mausers to de barrel.

The barrels acted stuck.
I would add 3 drops of Kroil, wait 5 seconds and the barrel could be taken off.

Everyone who ever witnessed this bought some Kroil.

And I know it is an out of control experiment, but life is full of behavior based on anecdotes.
Seeing the barrel come off is believing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
if you can't get the tube loose with with the above suggestions there is always a fall back solution as long as you don't destroy the barrel first. The final solution is to chuck the barrel in a big lathe and bore the choke tube out with a small boring bar. Once you bore it thin enough it will lose its strength and come loose or you can unwind the threads with a scribe and hemostats.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a stuck choke we can't get out with the air wrench, but sometimes the choke hole in the muzzle is off center or cockeyed. [Lousy workmanship from Remington]

I like to cut the last few inches of the muzzle off and bore, ream, and tap for a new Remchoke.

I can always screw other stuff into the barrel to make it longer again, like another shotgun barrel that I cut male threads like a on a remchoke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've ordered Kroil in three flavors, stolem my wifes hair dryer, gotten gas for the torch and said appropriate paryers. When the kroil get here I will begin the project. Thanks for everyones help!

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I have not seen a stuck choke we can't get out with the air wrench, but sometimes the choke hole in the muzzle is off center or cockeyed. [Lousy workmanship from Remington]

I like to cut the last few inches of the muzzle off and bore, ream, and tap for a new Remchoke.

I can always screw other stuff into the barrel to make it longer again, like another shotgun barrel that I cut male threads like a on a remchoke.

That would look good on a SS double shotgun.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote