THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Basic Bedding ?? : Glass, Marine-Tex, or Devcon....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basic Bedding ?? : Glass, Marine-Tex, or Devcon....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
This past week, under the tutelage of my local gunsmith, I learned how to free float the barrel and bed my hunting rifle. Other than a couple bubbles near the recoil lug it came out perfect.

I asked him to show me how to do this because I have two other rifles that need bedding and I wanted to do them as well. However, both of the other rifles have the HS Precision synthetic stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. My research shows that most people either use Marine-Tex or Devcon. Is there an advantage to using one of those two? Or more importantly, is there a disadvantage to using Acraglas Gel with a synthetic stock and aluminum block?

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devcon seems to be one of the big favorites right now, but I'm thinking about changing back to glassbed from Brownells. Devcon is very stiff when bedding and I don't think it gets into the tight areas very well. It's also hard and brittle when set. I think the Steelbed is a little more forgiving in these respects than the Devcon.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clowdis ; Are you using Devcon Putty or Epoxy ?.

If the consistency is thicker than you like in the Putty add small amounts of liquid epoxy to thin the putty to your desire .

I'm NO Gun Smith !. I have manufactured Epoxies among other other chemical products . I prefer Liquid Epoxy and adding thickeners to it rather than the reverse but either will work .

Besides I find if you " Really " want it to adhere well it should soak into the substrate if possible . Or the very least the surfaces of the epoxied items should be roughed up well as to form a covalent bond . Devcon makes Several different epoxies and putties .
I'm sure your aware of this though .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote